Ignition coil question

I Have a 83' 280zx and my Ignition coil is leaking oil. (Not point type distributer and doesn't have ballast resistor i believe) 

I was going to replace it with something from motorsportauto but 
Should I be getting a lower Ohm coils (crane ps-20~60) 
or higher ohm coils like pertronix?  

and what exactly do these resistance change the way it sparks?? 
I researched a bit but ended up cconfusing myself even more.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The stronger the magnetic field that a coil makes the higher the secondary output voltage is. To increase the magnetism more current flow is needed. To increase the current flow larger wires with less resistance is needed. The coils can over heat or it may burn out the ignition module.

Have faith in your factory ignition system.

Generally the more gas and air in the combustion chamber the harder to fire the spark plug. Full throttle takes more than light throttle. Boost more than non boost. Higher compression needs more voltage than a low compression motor.  But in all cases it takes what it takes to fire a spark plug and adding more voltage does nothing. Your coil only has to have the potential to reach the maximum voltage needed to fire your plugs. And maybe a bit more for good measure. The factory isn't about to spend a lot of money designing an ignition system for your L28 that doesn't work. Even if you add cam and compression the factory system is more than you will ever need.

A 60,000 volt coil does not fire the plugs with 60,000 volts. When the air between the plug electrode and ground breaks down and the spark starts this becomes a short circuit to ground and the voltage cannot climb any higher. Usually around 25,000 volts. So those shiny expensive after market coils are... well a waste of money. Spend it instead on a really good set of NGK wires and plugs, cap and rotor. Remember that electricity always finds the shortest easiest path to ground.

The stronger the magnetic field that a coil makes the higher the secondary output voltage is. To increase the magnetism more current flow is needed. To increase the current flow larger wires with less resistance is needed. The coils can over heat or it may burn out the ignition module.

Have faith in your factory ignition system.

Generally the more gas and air in the combustion chamber the harder to fire the spark plug. Full throttle takes more than light throttle. Boost more than non boost. Higher compression needs more voltage than a low compression motor.  But in all cases it takes what it takes to fire a spark plug and adding more voltage does nothing. Your coil only has to have the potential to reach the maximum voltage needed to fire your plugs. And maybe a bit more for good measure. The factory isn't about to spend a lot of money designing an ignition system for your L28 that doesn't work. Even if you add cam and compression the factory system is more than you will ever need.

A 60,000 volt coil does not fire the plugs with 60,000 volts. When the air between the plug electrode and ground breaks down and the spark starts this becomes a short circuit to ground and the voltage cannot climb any higher. Usually around 25,000 volts. So those shiny expensive after market coils are... well a waste of money. Spend it instead on a really good set of NGK wires and plugs, cap and rotor. Remember that electricity always finds the shortest easiest path to ground.

I AM going to use the factory ignition.... Its just that I'm replacing the coil (round tube thingy) only. I'm not investing in a $200 ignition box 

My question was what would be appropriate ohm range for daily driver electronic distributor since i needed a replacement for the stock one. 

Just because it's painted red and has a scary name doesn't make it better. The coil (any coil) should have a resistance of from 0.8 to 1.0 ohms. Less than that might over stress the module and more resistance will have less output.

Just because it's painted red and has a scary name doesn't make it better. The coil (any coil) should have a resistance of from 0.8 to 1.0 ohms. Less than that might over stress the module and more resistance will have less output.

jeez, your a big hater on Aftermarket coils hun? 

well that aside the MSD B2 has .7 ohm primary and comes with a .8ohm resistor...    and I see a lot of people use it (with and w/o resistor) so i thought it would have been a little more realiable than no name $10 stuff from autozone etc, thats all there is to it.. 

0.7 ohm would work, it's close enough to the stock rating. I wouldn't run a resister or it will drop the output. The resister is for a points system that can't handle the extra current of an electronic ignition. Running a 0.7 ohm coil without a dropping resistor will fry the points in a short time.

Yes I find most after market stuff all feathers and not much chicken.

0.7 ohm would work, it's close enough to the stock rating. I wouldn't run a resister or it will drop the output. The resister is for a points system that can't handle the extra current of an electronic ignition. Running a 0.7 ohm coil without a dropping resistor will fry the points in a short time.

Yes I find most after market stuff all feathers and not much chicken.

Thanks for the technical help. 

And yeah, I will get one of these suckers and see how long they last...   

( I heard a rumour that Z31T coils were bullet proof ... is that true? specs? )