1200 Deluxe most popular engine swaps?

Well at the moment i'm really interested in starting my very first Datsun project, and after 3 months of doing reading and research i've decided that i wanted to star a 510 2 door SR project. . . Living in South Africa i didnt doubt for a second that there would be any shortage of Datto's here cuz the country is over flowing with them. After searching and searching i relized that Bluebirds over here is damn rare!! :confused:

So that being said i started looking for a different type of Datsun with more or less the same "boxie" look.

1200 Deluxe 4 door sedan's were quite in large supply but after all my reading and researching about the Bluebird SR swap i feel i dont know if the same swap will work for this car?

If anyone can help me i would appreciate it.

Thanx in advance.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to Ratsun.....now post up some pics.  Really wann see the 4dr 1200

There is a lot of info on datsun1200.com

I think they cover the SR swap and the KA swap

Seriously, thinking?

I'm not sure what price the seller has on this car, but, it looks magnificent!!

After 1600's (510's) the 1200 is my next favorite car.

From the pictures, it looks fantastic!

Here's a link to the 1200 forum which gives a lot of information about engine swaps for these beasties.

http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=A15_Engine

The A15 engine from the Nissan Vanette is the most popular swap here, and the one which requires the least amount of work compared to other engine swaps.

In my twenty five + years of owning Datsuns I've seen engine swaps for the 1200 which include L16, L18, and L20 motors as well as Australian small block Holden motors (253).

Personally, I think it's a great looking car (based on the pics) and I'd love to own it.

Well the guy selling this car wants R26 900 or about 3000 USD.

Thats a bit steep isnt it?

Based on the pics you have posted, down here I have seen similar cars go for between $2000 AUD (R18 979) to $4000 (R37 959) for pristine examples.

If the indicated kilometers are original (not impossible, just highly improbable) in my opinion it's definitely worth the asking price.

It also depends on how much you want the car, what similar cars are selling for, it's current mechanical condition, what it will cost to transfer the registration to your name etc.

Personally, If you really want the car, (and it's mechanically sound) why not offer R18 979 as a starting price and if you get a no, work up from there.

Of course it depends on how much the vendor wasn't to sell the car, does he/she need the money?, how much interest has been shown in the car etc.

Either way, good luck if you do buy it. Again, based on pics it looks like a great starting point for a resto or a full on conversion.

Annnnnnddddd, having just Reread your original post, SR conversions have been done on these cars a number of times.

These guys do a number of conversion kits for the 1200:

www.maddat.com.au

I also remember reading years ago about a 1200 ute here that had a 13B turbo conversion which, for power to weight would be a fantastic conversion.

Ok so just to be clear i knew this was going to cost alot of money doing the swap etc. But this is INSANE!!! the mounting kit alone from Maddat is gonna cost me almost R10 000!!! The suspension and breaks even more. . . man it sucks to stay in South Africa. Ive got family that stays in Australia but that wont help getting it cheaper, does it?

Ok so in the meantime ive been looking around for other potential cars to buy and few  got my attention. ( Mind the quality of the photos these guys obviously dont want to advertise their cars properly )

Lemme know what you think.

BTW the green 1600 is selling for R7 000!      ( 800 USD plus minus )

The 1978 120y is selling for R5 000                ( 550 USD )

The Blue 1600 Deluxe is selling for R28 000   ( 3100 USD )

The Red 1200 Deluxe is selling for R25 000   ( 2800 USD )

Ugh so many choices so little garage space and money lol.

KGrHqJqgFDgGjRFCBRc7Ygk948_20_zps6f20e53

T2eC16ZzoE9s5ngNEvBRc82TTvw48_20_zpsb82e

KGrHqVHJFQFEMT0KB2BRc86igHv48_20_zpsc9b3

Pic of 120Y engine bay

T2eC16FHJHIE9nysd-NMBRE2zWmIw48_20_zpsbc

KGrHqRp4FEOtROY0qBRE2zuH7Nw48_20_zps28bb

KGrHqJhwFEDVsTqGpBRE20G0mzQ48_20_zpsdd47

T2eC16hHJGIE9nnWsy8BRE20gr648_20_zps507d

T2eC16FE9s2fGJMBRE211UPmg48_20_zpsd4e341

T2eC16VcE9s4Ptm-1BRT92HoUQ48_20_zps3e6bd

This is your car and should therefore be your own decision. This is a Datsun forum and because of that, most of us love all Datsuns. Get the car that you think fits YOUR lifestyle best and begin to transform it into something YOU enjoy looking at and most importantly love to drive. Have you test driven any of the cars that you are asking about? This is your car not mine or his/hers

Hi

I would try to get the car that is in the best condition and running. You could easily spend much more on repairs and parts and eventually TIME to get it running. And then become frustrated because you cant use it. Go for the powder blue 1200 with the Malmesbury plates !! Or the Gauteng boxy (510)

i never knew that the S.A. 120ys had suicide hoods, or bonnets, whatever you guys call them.  presonally, id buy that car, but im partial to b210s :P. 

forget about maddat, just do the work yourself or have it done locally.  labor is probably cheap over there.