alt swap, now power drains

q-tip

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did some more poking around, found two drains.

1. Constant 12 volt for radio, don't think this is a big deal.

2. The small yellow wire from the alternator. Could this be a bad diode and explain my charge light not working?

1. Constant 12 volt for radio, don't think this is a big deal.

I cant remember what radio you have in the truck, but the newer ones will always have a small drain. It keeps the time current as well as it remembers your presets for stations and such. If its an older manual push-button radio and not an electric switch-button then there should be no draw... 

Don't have a clock, don't know how big the draw is I was just using the test light method

I put the small yellow wire from the ka alt to the yellow wire on the stock harness and the big white wire from the alt to the white wire on the stock harness. At the regulator harness I followed mikes instructions

There are two wires to the alternator plug so how did you figure out which one goes where??? The 620 plug won't fit the KA alt so did you guess?

The KA alt plug should be marked L and S terminals.

The L on the alt. should have the Yellow wire on the 620 harness. This is the charge lamp in the dash.

The S on the alt. should have the White/Black stripe wire from the 620 harness.

Wires are correct, the charge light stopped working before I swapped the alternator now that I really think about it. I'm just stumped. I also thought bad alternator as well. I did notice that when I hooked the battery back up the heater a/c relay kicks on, could it be something there?

Are you sure? Don't go only on wire colors from the KA alt. Go by the terminal letters.

L on the KA alt. to the Yellow 620 wire

S on the KA alt. to the White/Black stripe on the 620 wire.

#1)  well i would unplug the + wire from the terminal first. and see if the light goes out.

I have never done removing a yellow wire as the only yellow wire I know went to the T connector.(maybe Ill learn something here)

that yel wire could come from the battery via the mod you made thru the old volt reg going to grnd but Im only guessing, but do #1 first

I always thought when you turn the key to On it energizes the alternator thru the field wire(watever color that is)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...