510 Windshield and gasket

I need to replace the windshield in my '71 510.  My glass shop is checking to see if they can get one, but I'm also curious if anyone has bought any of the gaskets off eBay.  Are there any brands to stay away from, or any brands that are recommended?  Or are there other options?

-Thanks, Kyle

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My local glass shop says they can get me a new windshield in a week.  Cost is $500.  $150 for install.....  I'm still deliberating whether or not it's worth it.  My glass is fogged over.  I know from past cars, that new glass is so nice....  Next the question is who's seal do I buy.  There are a lot of seals from Thailand for sale out there.  I'm not sure if I trust  them. 

weird...  give them a call.  I believe it is WCR204 (accepts trim) and WBL204 (does not accept trim)

Here is another seller offering the part:

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Precision_Parts/Weatherstrip_Seal/PRPWCR204.html

I can't tell from this link, but I don't think this is the seal that goes around the Windshield.

the seal shown in that link is some generic stock photo.

Here is a picture of one I bought:

http://datsun510.com/photopost/data/3133/medium/windshield_seal.JPG

(sorry - image posting doesn't seem to be working at the moment)

and here is a fresh windsheild.

http://datsun510.com/photopost/data/3200/medium/datsun_510_windshield_replacement_23_.JPG

http://datsun510.com/photopost/data/3200/medium/datsun_510_windshield_replacement_24_.JPG

Call Richard tomorrow...  You won't be sorry.

I recommend contacting Richard Tankel for a windshield.  And PRP for the gasket(s). 

ProSource Glass International

Toll Free:877-345-2800

978-975-5400

Fax:         978-975-5300

Cell:         978-790-4657

http://www.prp.com/

Yeah, I just talked to Richard at ProSource Glass, very nice guy.  He quoted me $140 for pickup, or $300 shipped.  My local glass shop wants $500 just for the glass.

$500 for a new glass!!! Holy hell. I'm sure they are just selling you the china ones.  I sell the front glass here for $160 - $180.  Lots of places to get the gasket, ebay, Datsun land socal....

So this windshield gasket I got off eBay from am-autoparts is the Precision Replacement Parts WCR204 gasket.  It does have a new part number:  1A-WSX-00558.   The package does say "MADE in Thailand" for what it's worth.  The quality looks good.   carterb  likes it, so I will give my feedback once I get it in a few days.

Hmm... Take this with a grain of salt, But if I recall correctly (which I would give a 85% chance after seeing that picture above), my windshield seal I installed 3 years ago was a precision. It was definitely Thailand. It seemed nice when it went in. But after only 2 years, it was cracked at the corners. I replaced early fall with a seal from VintageRubber.com so far so good with that one

VintageRubber.com uses their own molds, and makes the in the USA. So at the very least we know the seals from them are not the same Thailand garbage everyone else is selling.

Hmm... Take this with a grain of salt, But if I recall correctly (which I would give a 85% chance after seeing that picture above), my windshield seal I installed 3 years ago was a precision. It was definitely Thailand. It seemed nice when it went in. But after only 2 years, it was cracked at the corners. I replaced early fall with a seal from VintageRubber.com so far so good with that one

VintageRubber.com uses their own molds, and makes the in the USA. So at the very least we know the seals from them are not the same Thailand garbage everyone else is selling.

Well..... Since I already have the PRP seal, I will go ahead and put it in.  We will see what the Alaskan climate does on the seal, and I will report back in.

I checked out the vintagerubber website (nice, easy website to use), but I didn't see anywhere that said they are made in the USA.  Usually, if parts are made in the USA, it's all over their website, you can't miss that fact...... but maybe I did just miss it.

• 4 weeks later...

That's the glass I used.  It's Chinese, it's a tad less thick than original, it's a tad rough on the edges, but it's probably the same glass you will get from anyone, and Richard has the best price I found.  I prefer the stainless insert myself.  I recomend using butyl sealer with the rubber gasket.  Put butyl caulk in the seam of the gasket for the windshield side and the pinch weld side.  I didn't use either on my intial install because I needed to get it on a shipping truck the next day and I didn't have time to put a headliner in when I did the install.  So my intial install was temporary, and it leaked like a siv in the couple of rain storms it went through from Missouri to Alaska.  I plan to pull it back out, put a new headliner in, and reinstall porperly....  That's my two cents.