Gearbox oil (pictures)

Lacuchufleta69

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure that everyone would like it to be that easy.

That is not how you put the gear oil in the transmission, there is a plug on the side of the transmission about half way up, not sure which side on the 521 4 speed, but you fill it up till oil starts coming back out of the hole, as that would mean you are filled to the proper level.

I am sure datzenmike has a photo of the plug, hope he sees this thread.

You want GL-4 80 w 90 weight. It's getting hard to find this stuff but whatever you do, do NOT use GL-5 in your transmission. You need an oil the is marked "yellow metal safe" or "compatible with copper or brass" 

Qty...... 1.7 liters or 3 5/8 US pints or 3 Imperial pints for the 521 4 speed.

The fill hole on the F4W63 is on the driver's side (left) I use about 3 feet of old garden hose. Stick one in the transmission and the other in the engine bay behind the air filter. Use a kitchen funnel from a dollar store. Pour in at least 1 1/2 pints and then start watching the other end. When oil starts to dribble out put the bung back in and tighten it up. Wipe the bung clean and check in a few days to see if wet and leaking.

Ahhh I see the pictures have shown up. Thats not a stock 4 speed but the fill amounts and the type of oil is the same anyway.

You have an F4W71B.

I took that very front case off a 4 speed that looks like yours, and put it on a 5 speed from a 81-86 720 truck, and installed it in my 520 project(L20b), I could be wrong, but I believe that you have the same transmission, and since your truck has already had all the modifications to fit this longshaft 4 speed transmission, the longshaft 5 speed from a 720 truck with your front case installed on it will bolt right in, you can also bolt in a 620 5 speed, or a 1980 720 L20b equipped 5 speed, as long as your 4 speed is 31 inches long, a longshaft 5 speed will bolt in, but most the 620 5 speeds are geared differently than the 720 5 speeds, so you need to do your home work before you purchase a 5 speed, to make sure you get what you want.

GL 4, by sta lube, available @ napa (call to make sure they have it in stock, before making the drive.)

no other auto parts store had it, in stock or not.

bout 30 bucks, buy the hand pump attachment thing to be able to get it in that fill hole

datzenkike, thanks for the info on the thread about the xmission oil. I am always reading to learn more about my truck. This forum rock & so do you guys. Thanks for the help and to Lacuchufleta69 for starting the thread also!