Emission hose mystery

Sierra

I was cleaning and replacing hoses on my 1978 B210 and I found that I have the following nipple without a hose.

I have no idea where this hose goes to.

Any clue?

The nipple is just bellow and to the right of the EGR Control Valve

Note: My B210 has a manual transmission and my buddy has a B210 Automatic and to my amazement his does not have it

IMG_2086_zps82aa2607.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My bad, I didn't pay enough attention to the picture. I looked back and he seems to be looking for the nipple under the hose I posted.

I do not have this nipple. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I couldn't get a good picture due to my camcorder auto focusing, but here is what I got:

SAM_0208_zps9fcff9bd.jpg

I don't have any type of connection under that hose. However, the nipple that is unhooked in this picture goes to the breather:

SAM_0205_zps4dc037c4.jpg

Best of luck figuring this one out.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I think it goes to the airbox but I am not 100% sure yet.

In regards to Dguy210 question: I am not sure if it is the OG engine.

I got the B210 in pretty bad conditions about 8 months ago and I been working on it little by little. I know is a A14 engine.

Here are a couple of better pictures.

IMG_2096_zps7c910601.jpg

IMG_2097_zps1a44e8bf.jpg

IMG_2098_zpsccdfa662.jpg

IMG_2099_zpsa529cb49.jpg

Okay guys, I need your help again.

So it turns out that my B210 has a Vacuum Switching Valve (VSV) with 3 nipples/ports. (See picture) and I am trying to figure out where each hose connects to.

IMG_2113_zpsf9dc950a.jpg

After some research online and on service manuals I cannot seem to find a VSV with 3 ports. All the diagrams out there have a VSV with only two ports (See picture).  [Vacuum Switching Valve is number 6 in diagram]

IMG_2091_zps2947a71f.jpg

If anyone out there has the same VSV as mine (3 ports) can you please help me figure this one out.

Thanks in advance guys.

Ok I am now convinced the engine or at least the intake is not a '78. From the '78 FSM the VSV has 2 ports. However, the 81 210 FSM (which Colourbox posted earlier http://community.ratsun.net/topic/49640-1981-datsun-210-manual-pdfs/) has 3 ports (page 136 of 451).

PagesofPagesof81_Datsun_210_Manualvsv_pa

81_Datsun_210_Manual_page_001_zpsd86de6f

PagesofPagesof81_Datsun_210_Manual_page_

Edit: Note the quoting system is malfunctioning for the previous post, it moves the close quote tag to the end of my text, even when I manually move it to the end of the quote text it moves it back.

Edited by Dguy210
Do you still need all the emmisions on your car?  Just asking cuz up here in Washington, anything 25 years or older is exempt.

Unfortunately, he does. 75 and before, used to be 25 years and they changed the law and grandfathered in the already exempt ones.

I thought 75 and earlier was exempt in cali?

Does my vehicle qualify for a smog exemption?

Smog inspections are required unless your vehicle is:

• Hybrid
  • Gasoline powered 1975 year model or older
  • Diesel powered 1997 year model and older or with a Gross Vehicle Weight rating (GVWR) of more than 14,000 lbs
  • Electric
  • Natural gas powered with a GVWR rating of more than 14,000 lbs.
  • Motorcycle
  • Trailer

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm#BM2536

I thought 75 and earlier was exempt in cali?

Does my vehicle qualify for a smog exemption?

Smog inspections are required unless your vehicle is:

• Hybrid

• Gasoline powered 1975 year model or older

• Diesel powered 1997 year model and older or with a Gross Vehicle Weight rating (GVWR) of more than 14,000 lbs

• Electric

• Natural gas powered with a GVWR rating of more than 14,000 lbs.

• Motorcycle

• Trailer
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm#BM2536
Yeah 75 and before is "exempt" from testing. Technically you still needed all the equipment, and people have been nailed on that with engine swaps. I just worded it poorly. For a time it was anything 25 and older. They changed the law to 76 and newer still need testing.

well that is easy, take all your emmisions stuff off put it in a clear ziplock bag and attach it somewhere in the engine compartment, and when they ask to see it point at the ziplock bag, yep it's right there..........

• Like 3
  • 8 months later...