Riley's 620 project- AUSTRALIA

Haha thanks! Still needs lots of work, but I love her. 

Yeah I had a blast in Perth, but Ive always heard to go to the East Coast. I had an offer to visit another forum member who lives on the East Coast and maybe one day Ill make it over there again. Id really like to. 

itd definitely be worth the trip over. lots of unique cars to check out. heaps and heaps of meets most weekends :)  whats plans with your green machine?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In a nutshell, refinish my grille, buy new taillights, redo my torn up seats, im acquiring the pieces for a decent L-series build, eventually repaint a similar color... Those are the big ticket items. Im pretty happy with the way things are now, but it could always be better. 

Other than lowering, what are you endgame plans?

Aw yeah, so you've still got a bit of work to do. My 620 is in surprisingly good condition for a 39 year old vehicle. The tub needs a bit of derusting but that's only surface rust. I wouldn't mind getting the body straight and giving it a coat of paint. Give the dash a touch up and a good clean. The seat and door cards have already been retrimmed. I want to carpet the floor and give the inside a coat of black paint. I still haven't decided in a colour. I do like the colour of your 510 though :) wheels and low first up though.

image_zpsfef78d20.jpg

Got the old girl all snug in the garage after I cleaned it all out this afternoon.

image_zpsd400f4db.jpg

The tub needs a bit of work. Oh how I love pulling dents

image_zps7649c238.jpg

Not entirely sure what the black gunk is just hanging out on my tailgate. All I know if its gotta go.

image_zpsf645974d.jpg

image_zpsdedb7b7a.jpg

image_zps2c89a3b5.jpg

Ladder racks, out the door.

image_zps9d7afe47.jpg

The engine bay needs a bit of a clean up. There's a little rust in there but nothing major. There's a few little things that have to be replaced, windscreen washer hoses etc. speaking of which, how do you turn them on?

image_zps4dd9b6fd.jpg

The front end is in awesome condition. The bumper is perfect and all the lights are great.

image_zpsb7e8e5fc.jpg

The interior is alright I guess, the seat and door card was retrimmed before I bought it. The pattern is a bit weird but I think it adds a nice touch to the old girl. Dash will get some love and a coat of dye. New window rubbers all round real soon.

image_zps56b7b989.jpg

image_zps55ae4918.jpg

This is a close up of the pattern. Pretty snazzy haha

Ordered side mirrors and 2 1/2 inch lowering blocks from work today. Expecting them real soon. Tomorrow will bring some dent removal and a good clean.

This is the first and last time I'm posting this much from my iPhone haha

Welcome to Ratsun and good to see some more local folks on here. Great guys on here and plenty of help and information. 

I was only in Toowomba a few weeks ago picking up a car.

Your 620 looks to be in good straight original condition. Yeah it sux we only got the J series motors in our versions of the 521 and 620 utes. If you intend on keeping the original motor some of the MG headers and intakes fit the J series.

Saw this, could be a good parts car if needed, a little rough though.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wivenhoe-pocket/cars-vans-utes/datsun-620-ute-urgent-sale/1015254457

• Like 1
Welcome to Ratsun and good to see some more local folks on here. Great guys on here and plenty of help and information. 

I was only in Toowomba a few weeks ago picking up a car.

Your 620 looks to be in good straight original condition. Yeah it sux we only got the J series motors in our versions of the 521 and 620 utes. If you intend on keeping the original motor some of the MG headers and intakes fit the J series.

Saw this, could be a good parts car if needed, a little rough though.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wivenhoe-pocket/cars-vans-utes/datsun-620-ute-urgent-sale/1015254457

Thanks for the welcome mate. What were you picking up? Dismal weather up where at the moment :( It does suck that we only got the J series. I guess that just gives us more motivation to make it the best it can be haha

I think I'll be pretty right for parts at the moment. I work at super cheap on weekends and can get a lot of my stuff from there for cost price. Can't believe there is another 620 in toowoomba haha a guy the bagged his and as far as I know that could be the only registered one in town. (We'll soon change that) you'll have to let me know if you're ever up this way again and come check it out. I would never have thought that mg parts would fit :s ill look into it.

I hate that I'm stuck at work right now. All I want to do is work on the dat :(

In a nutshell, refinish my grille, buy new taillights, redo my torn up seats, im acquiring the pieces for a decent L-series build, eventually repaint a similar color... Those are the big ticket items. Im pretty happy with the way things are now, but it could always be better. 

Other than lowering, what are you endgame plans?

Is your 510 a stock colour? I dig it. Not sure how it'd look on my 620 though. Thoughts?

Thanks for the welcome mate. What were you picking up? Dismal weather up where at the moment :( It does suck that we only got the J series. I guess that just gives us more motivation to make it the best it can be haha I think I'll be pretty right for parts at the moment. I work at super cheap on weekends and can get a lot of my stuff from there for cost price. Can't believe there is another 620 in toowoomba haha a guy the bagged his and as far as I know that could be the only registered one in town. (We'll soon change that) you'll have to let me know if you're ever up this way again and come check it out. I would never have thought that mg parts would fit :s ill look into it.

A friend and I purchased a 1956 Bentley S1 sedan, the weekend the rains started a few weeks back was when I was there. It's still at my sisters place in Brisbane, have to organise freight this week for it. I also lived in Toowomba for a very short time about 16 years ago, nice place. If I ever head back that way I'll give you a shout. Pretty much all of Nissans/Datsuns early engines are based off the Morris engine. You will find things like rings and bearings are all interchangable.

Here is a picture of my headers and twin SU's I will be running on my 521.

DSC07289.jpg

A friend and I purchased a 1956 Bentley S1 sedan, the weekend the rains started a few weeks back was when I was there. It's still at my sisters place in Brisbane, have to organise freight this week for it. I also lived in Toowomba for a very short time about 16 years ago, nice place. If I ever head back that way I'll give you a shout. Pretty much all of Nissans/Datsuns early engines are based off the Morris engine. You will find things like rings and bearings are all interchangable.

Here is a picture of my headers and twin SU's I will be running on my 521.

[img=http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu146/datsun_sp310/Datsun%20521/DSC07289.jpg]

Yeah, the rain hasn't stopped since then haha

Aw well that's good to know. It is a good place. Gets boring some times but what town doesn't?

good to see another 620 owner from toowoomba - mines not registered yet but will be soonish if i can ever get time off from work!

if you need any advice on anything please let me know ive pulled that many apart ive had nightmares...

cheeers !!!

good to see another 620 owner from toowoomba - mines not registered yet but will be soonish if i can ever get time off from work!

if you need any advice on anything please let me know ive pulled that many apart ive had nightmares...

cheeers !!!

Awesome. They're few and far between around here hey. I will almost certainly need a hand at some point haha ill hopefully have mine registered soon too. Then we can go for a cruise :))

your 100% right buddy they are rare as but theyve become so much easier to track down lately its unbelievable!!

the first one i got to part out was all the way up the sunny coast and ive travelled most of the state to get ones for bit and bobs!

let us know if there is any odd ball component that you cant get anymore.... ive got a little bit of stuff left but not heaps it might get you out of trouble!

cheers

your 100% right buddy they are rare as but theyve become so much easier to track down lately its unbelievable!!

the first one i got to part out was all the way up the sunny coast and ive travelled most of the state to get ones for bit and bobs!

let us know if there is any odd ball component that you cant get anymore.... ive got a little bit of stuff left but not heaps it might get you out of trouble!

cheers

Sick, thanks for the heads up. At first glance everything seems to be on good nick, but then again I don't look very hard haha there is a 620 for sale on gumtree in toowoomba, just for parts though I think.

Welcome Riley, looks like a great project base.

See Tristin, I told you the East coast is the place to be :)

Cheers mate. Not entirely sure what the plan is engine wise or the look ill go for but I'm sure it'll come to me soon haha

Anybody know somewhere to get window rubbers and seals for the 620? Particularly the quarter wondows? Preferably on Australia for quick delivery time haha

Also can somebody link me to a thread on lowering with torsion bars?

Will post more pictures after work when the old girl gets a good wash. FINALLY BLUE SKIES!

Cheers guys