Need eletrical help in SoCal LA area

r0p0doe

I have a 71 510 I bought last week that wasn't running and needed minor work to make it run. But now as we go to check the electrical on the car we have no power to anything. No lights, wipers, signals.....anything at all.Dieses & fues box has been tested and there good. The po added a few gauges and did a few mickey mouse things wiring wise. My friend suggested there may be a kill switch but it got too dark for use to take a good look so we called it a night for today. Anyone open to come by tomorrow and give us a hand I'd greatly appreciate it.Its a must the car gets uo and running asap because my daily just took a crap on me so I have no wheels.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the battery connects to the starter lug. On the starter lug there should be the thick wire with a round lug that feeds the fuse box. Usually a white wire feeds the box. If power you should have be able to have the lights come on. Or ignition. This is a basic system.

so get a volt meter.

Ground one end and masur at the starter lug, 12volts then probe up to the fuse box. untill you loose the 12volts.

Some times just pulling the connector and reseating it cleans up the contacks.

Persoanlly I WOULD NOT have bought the car untill the electrical worked. Esp if your not elelctric savy.

the battery connects to the starter lug. On the starter lug there should be the thick wire with a round lug that feeds the fuse box. Usually a white wire feeds the box. If power you should have be able to have the lights come on. Or ignition. This is a basic system.so get a volt meter.Ground one end and masur at the starter lug, 12volts then probe up to the fuse box. untill you loose the 12volts.Some times just pulling the connector and reseating it cleans up the contacks.Persoanlly I WOULD NOT have bought the car untill the electrical worked. Esp if your not elelctric savy.

I'll check that out after I get off work, I can be very impulsive sometimes and I'm paying for it now :( hopefully we can get it accomplished today It's the last thing in the way before she runs

remeber soem fuse boxes the lights might come on but most do if power is going to the fuse box.soemtimes under the fuse box the wires are corroded and fuses need replacing soemtimes if old. they breack inside on the ends due to vibration

Took all the fuses out yesterday along with fues box and cleaned them all, we brushed all the clips that gold the fuses and they still have condinuity. Also tried to brush the plugs that connect to the fues box as best as possible. I'm gunna check that fuse on the starter and clean it up a bit aloe when I'm off work.

You can also soak overnight in vinegar and lemon juice to clean the copper.

Do you have power at the fuse box? No sense going further until you do.

I'm going to check that with a meter after work, the box is still good so hopefully it gets power. I appreciate all the tips n tricks so far its definitely going to help narrow things down

Going to test light a bunch of stuff today, I didn't get a chance to yesterday because I only had a few hrs to work on her yesterday and most of it was spent not on electrical. A buddy of mine mentioned to test my ignition if its working properly so I'll get back to you guys as I'm working on the car later on today

weither the ignition works or not if the lights/parking lights/brake lights dont come On is a good sign soemthing is fucked up going to the fuse box.

as your intail post was NO Power to anything.

if you have lights then you can work on the ignition

Ok, so there's power to the starter but nowhere else, checked relays and plugs to fues box and it is not lighting up with the test light. Could that be the possible problem?

Power is pretty simple if you put in different terms. Think of it as water in a hose, the bigger the hose the more and faster it can flow. that's why the wire from your battery to the starter is so much larger than the one to the fuse box. lets say for example the battery is your water source and the fuse box is a lawn sprinkler, it has to have a physical connection to work, if your sprinkler is not working you start at the source (battery) and work your way down the hose removing any kinks or clogged connections until you get a nice green lawn. now in this case it may make a couple junctions on its way but it still has to have that direct point of contact to get from A to B. Now not knowing your electrical aptitude, this may all sound really condescending if you got skills. :)

I get you, well come to find out our best bet is to get a 510 wiring diagram because that's where the po fucked up. Theres no power to fuse box because its not even connected to s power source. Anyone have a diagram or has a shot of what the plug looks like that should be connected to get power to the fuse box? Working as ij type so I'm looking for i

Nice job bringing it back from the edge.

Of course man I have no choice, my daily scrapped out on me and is too much to repair and I don't want to deal with it. I just bought this car and don't plan on getting rid of it because I've made that mistake before. I actually have time for my dime 2nd time around, I still miss ny old one but I enjoy this one a lot more because I actually have time for it. I'll probably start a build thread even tho I won't be doing much to it I'll just snap a lot of shots so you guys can see what I'm working with.

I seen a Moron hook up the plugs under the dash wrong. So the connector must be the same square ones so ck the colors to be sure you have thsat correct.

starter wire is a yellow blk wire. but if you put the key in START you should get 12volts or use a test light. then hook it up to the starter tab on seliniod.

most ttimes people start by passing the wirien when theyre is corrostion arount he fuse box area. Most time reseating/cleaning the plugs will fix most proplems on a 510.

and esp the 521 which is even WORSE

I seen a Moron hook up the plugs under the dash wrong. So the connector must be the same square ones so ck the colors to be sure you have thsat correct.starter wire is a yellow blk wire. but if you put the key in START you should get 12volts or use a test light. then hook it up to the starter tab on seliniod.most ttimes people start by passing the wirien when theyre is corrostion arount he fuse box area. Most time reseating/cleaning the plugs will fix most proplems on a 510.and esp the 521 which is even WORSE

That starter wire has been cut so he spliced it and used another wire to plug it into the starter. The black and yellow one still gets power so I just wrapped electrical tape to keep it from touching anything. He f'd up the wiring so bad some of the stuff isn't even the correct types of wires he put in here. I'll snap shots when I'm off work so you can see the massacre. She's going to be up and running today, I plan on getting her over to someone who can clean all the unnecessary wires he put in. I actually might have some shots you can see right now I'll try and upload some now

Since you guys were so helpful I'll let you get a glimpse of what I've been working on for a week. Pardon the crappy cellphone pics my friend took these lol. Car has been cleaned up and washed and looks much nicer now. ResizedImage951360713789481_zps300ec0f9.ResizedImage951360713798959_zps40614171.ResizedImage951360713806624_zps9af5ac83.ResizedImage951360713833867_zps6ae607b7.ResizedImage951360713824585_zpsc18856c3.ResizedImage951360713842914_zpsd8fc70c5.ResizedImage951360713851095_zps8e524bb7.ResizedImage951360713883235_zpsa0bd4de8.ResizedImage951360713860708_zpsa87b6b2b.ResizedImage951360714046324_zps2e9b222b.ResizedImage951360714054250_zps3919b7ca.ResizedImage951360714079392_zpse18e4109.ResizedImage951360714110324_zpsa0e12de7.ResizedImage951360714146813_zpsb5b1faee.ResizedImage951360714071849_zps8264f1a9.ResizedImage951360714165486_zpsf3c74f54.ResizedImage951360714235357_zps3bd7ef99.ResizedImage951360714242366_zpsee4cbbcf.ResizedImage951360714248230_zps3d1ffd6e.ResizedImage951360714266824_zps8409b970.ResizedImage951360714278737_zpscf4d79f5.

Some of you may remember me from my old car I picked up from the510keeper IMG_20110416_142441.jpgIMG_20110416_142453.jpgIMG_20110416_142553.jpgIMG_20110416_142630.jpg

I'll take better pics of my new dime today and do an introduction for it and all that good stuff, hope you guys like what you see....