Bonehead questions...

KFD

Hey guys, I have a few idiot questions, and I am not up to the four cylinder datsun lingo.

I know the 620s have the same powerplant as the 510... Will the fuel injection off the 720/200sx bolt up to that motor, or is that a totally different animal (is that the KA--??-- motor). Also in regards to those motors, wasn't there a four cylinder version of the 240sx (or is it four cylinder?) --found that answer, nvm--?

Last idiot question I can think of is will the 720s front end bolt up to the 620, or is that frame splicing time?

Thanks guys, I am glad I found this forum!

FYI, I am using the search function...I just found Icehouse's posts... I didn't know that KA motor was built recently!

KFD

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The red is my comments

Hey guys, I have a few idiot questions, and I am not up to the four cylinder datsun lingo.

I know the 620s have the same powerplant as the 510...

No, only the 1973 620 uses the same engine. The 510 used an L16. The 620 used the L16 in '73, the L18 in '74, and the L20B in 75-79

Will the fuel injection off the 720/200sx bolt up to that motor, or is that a totally different animal

Totally different animal- intake isn't even on the same side of the engine. And 720s never had fuel injection.

(is that the KA--??-- motor).

No, the '80-83 200SX used a NAPS-Z engine (EFI). Z20E in 80-81, Z22E in 82-83. The 720 in '81-86 used a carbbed NAPS-Z engine- Z22S in 81-early 83, Z24 in midyear 83-early '86 OR a Z20S in 83-86.

Also in regards to those motors, wasn't there a four cylinder version of the 240sx (or is it four cylinder?) --found that answer, nvm--?

ALL 240SXs were 4-cyl. KA24E in '89-90, KA24DE in 91-98

Last idiot question I can think of is will the 720s front end bolt up to the 620, or is that frame splicing time?

No, it doesn't bolt on, but you don't need to splice the frame. The frame itself is close enough, but the A-arm towers (which are welded to the frame) are different. That's the part that would need to be cut off and replaced. This of course assumes a drum brake, kingpin 73-77 620. The '78-79 disc-brake, balljoint 620 is nearly identical to the early 720 setup. And no, the disc brake setup for the late 620 doesn't bolt on to the early one (same issue)

Thanks guys, I am glad I found this forum!

FYI, I am using the search function...I just found Icehouse's posts... I didn't know that KA motor was built recently!

KFD

There is a 720 at the yard here with "FUEL INJECTION" on the fender, and a z24 with FI in it...

True, and there's a 521 with a V-6 sitting in my yard. Doesn't mean it's stock. I've seen a 720 with a KA in it. Money, time, and willpower. Nissan started injecting the Gasoline trucks in mid-year '86 with the Hardbody (D21) and they were Z24i (TBI).

Its a real EFI 720... they were made in 86. check out this parts link; http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/details/QQNissanQQ720QQMonroeQQShock_AbsorberQQ19801986QQTS58417.html

I know you know your shit, I have a lot of respect for you in terms of datsun knowledge, so don't take me the wrong way...

Since they were made for such a short time, the EFI trucks are a little more rare than the average carbed truck... if its a runner I may just have to buy the drivetrain despite the fact that I don't like the z24's very much. :D

Oh heres another parts link; http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/details/QQNissanQQ720QQCVUQQFuel_InjectorQQ1986QQCVU41-17105.html

True, and there's a 521 with a V-6 sitting in my yard. Doesn't mean it's stock. I've seen a 720 with a KA in it. Money, time, and willpower. Nissan started injecting the Gasoline trucks in mid-year '86 with the Hardbody (D21) and they were Z24i (TBI).

I know you can use 200sx fuel injection from the early model year. Don't know which one but we have one on our 68 wagon. Works great, not the best power outcome unless your shooting for a turbo, which then would work perfect for the L-series.

'86.5 was the crossover to the D-21 and it's possible that there are 720s with TBI instead of the 'electro carb'. The TBI had two injectors and they didn't look like the one in the link. It looks more like a multi port injector. No way the 720 had multi port, TBI is possible.

It also lists an '84-'86 fuel injector for the 720 that can't be right.:

1984-1986 Nissan 720 - CVU Fuel Injector

Our Price: $49.07

Core: $5.00

Quantity:

Part Number: CVU42-13104

"CVU FUEL INJECTOR -- A High Quality Direct Fit Replacement, Remanufactured To OEM Specifications, With Manufacturer's Limited 7-Year Or 70,000-Mile Warranty"

1985-1986 Nissan 720 - CVU Fuel Injector

Our Price: $76.07

Core: $5.00

Quantity:

Part Number: CVU41-17101

"CVU FUEL INJECTOR -- A High Quality Direct Fit Replacement, Remanufactured To OEM Specifications, With Manufacturer's Limited 7-Year Or 70,000-Mile Warranty"

I've also seen parts lists which claim a 1.7L DOHC EFI engine in a 720. But I'm pretty dang sure that the 720 didn't have a CA18DE. I mean, it's possible, but I've never seen or heard of such a thing. The factory manuals I have only show the Z24S and Z20S for 1985, I do not have a 1986 manual. A coworker has a 1986 D21, which has TBI.

Now, a DIESEL 720 has fuel injectors...

I've also seen parts lists which claim a 1.7L DOHC EFI engine in a 720. But I'm pretty dang sure that the 720 didn't have a CA18DE. I mean, it's possible, but I've never seen or heard of such a thing. The factory manuals I have only show the Z24S and Z20S for 1985, I do not have a 1986 manual. A coworker has a 1986 D21, which has TBI.

Now, a DIESEL 720 has fuel injectors...

:lol:

yes im afraid zuum is right,the 720 was built up to 12/85 and the d21 prodution started in 11/85 according to my nissan parts look up and the engines availiable in the 720 were L20B,Z20,Z22,Z24,Z24I,SD22,SD25. we have one at our dealer that needs a motor and the customer has left it here it has z24i and its a late 85 pro date.:D

yes im afraid zuum is right,the 720 was built up to 12/85 and the d21 prodution started in 11/85 according to my nissan parts look up and the engines availiable in the 720 were L20B,Z20,Z22,Z24,Z24I,SD22,SD25. we have one at our dealer that needs a motor and the customer has left it here it has z24i and its a late 85 pro date.:D

Your Nissan parts book is mistaken. The D-21 was introduced in 1986 as a 1986 1/2 model not '85. If it helps I have a FSM with mistakes in it.

'86.5 was the crossover to the D-21 and it's possible that there are 720s with TBI instead of the 'electro carb'. The TBI had two injectors and they didn't look like the one in the link. It looks more like a multi port injector. No way the 720 had multi port, TBI is possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Is KFD for Kentucky Fried Datsun?!?!?????

Hey, get in touch with Tom. He lives in Px and knows all about 620s. He might even know of one for sale. I live in Bullhead City and know of trucks around here. Actually, right now I am in Winslow and just saw a pretty clean 521. Don't know if its for sale or not, but they are all around in Arizona. Nice headlights!!

Yeah! Got any more pics? :D

Cool Coronet, too, though I'm thinking a black car in Arizona can't be fun. :eek:

Hey guys, thanks so much! I got rid of the Dodge before I moved to Arizona, :mad: but that car didn't have A/C. I still miss her though!! I saw a '74 on CL for the past few days. I have the old bike I am selling, and that is cash in hand. When that bike is sold, I want to grab that thing, even though I really want a '78-'79 with disc brakes, (preferably a king cab), and build something like ]2eDeYe's, or Jeremy's...

I will try and find pics of my dad and me as a toddler sitting on my his yellow '74.

I wonder how much fabbing is required to put a hardbody or even a frontier chassis/powertrain under a 620 cab and bed...Hmmmm....

Ya know, the Q45 has a V8 in it...

2212173773_fdd35c0f49_o.jpg

Later

KFD

Hey, I got another one... I was looking at an older pathfinder in traffic, and I saw REAR DISCS!!! So I do some searching on here, and find that the pathy is wider (even more than the hardbody), and a four-link rear at that. So, my question is what needs to be done to adapt the Pathfinder rear caliper brackets to fit the 620 rear? I realize that beebani makes those rear brackets, but being the scrounger I am (and also put '76 imperial rear discs on my '58 dodge --MOPARVWFREAK, have you ever seen those before!?), and the fact that I have done a rear swap using all factory stuff before, I am familiar with going that route. I am still down for beebani's brackets, I just need the 620 and titans!

Here is another of Faith for you guys!

2212652164_601aa327f1.jpg

Later

KFD

Not many know (or probably care) that the first slant six 170 cu.in. was aluminum. It was dropped because of production costs in favor of the cheaper cast iron blocks. I got my dad's 'old' 64 Dodge slant six, three in the tree when he moved up to something newer. I was 18 or 19 at the time so this was '68? The street hemi was 4 years old and all I daydreamed through high school was drag racing Dodge cars.

I built an adapter plate using only an electric drill, 1/4" bit, a grinding stone that fit the drill and some hand files. My dad tapped the holes so a 318 2bbl would fit it. I hollowed out the intake and got rid of the Ball and Ball one bbl. Used a modified bicycle hand break cable for the throttle. Ran ok couldn't stomp it too fast or would bog but pulled good mid range. Later I bought a home made split exhaust manifold and ran two exhaust systems side by side with Waker Continentals. Man it was loud. Even more mid range. Surprisingly no increase in top end.. about 90 MPH that was it.

My next car was a brand new '70 Dart 340, but that's another story.

Not many know (or probably care) that the first slant six 170 cu.in. was aluminum.

Ten points for that one... Those aluminum slanties were built in like '60 or '62. I wanted to throw one of those in a Dart, (or a '60 Fury Matador), slam a hyperpak on it, and whip up on Accords with it!

You should see some of the Mopar Trivia posts I make on the myspace groups. Most of my questions go over the heads of the older guys on there. You know, Ma Mopar contemplated making a turbo slant in the late seventies!

yeah i have seen teh 58 dodges and the old imperials. i have a couple old dogdes myself. a 72 valiant scamp, a 68 dart 270 and a 77 power wagon. all V8s though. i ahve had my share of slants and although they are reliable i am not a big fan of em. i prefer teh power of a v8. eventually both the dart adn the scamp will be going 4 wheel disk. 73+ front disk and maybe imperial rears who knows.