73 620 pick up running rough when cold

hey guys im new to the forum and im also a new owner of a 1973 1600 datsun pick up. i am wandering if i can get sum advice on cold start . this truck when cold starts right up but will miss ,backfire sound like its flooding but if you take off and get rolling you can turn ignition switch off then back on and the engine starts running great, it only does this when cold. after truck has warmed up you can cut off and crank back up and it runs fine. any suggestions would be appreciated. i dont know if i should be looking at ignition or carburetor or both . thanks

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

oh is that what it does? maybe you could take a video of exactly whats going on and post it on youtube?

if one of the smarty pants doesnt come in with the answer soon off the top of their head

yea its WEIRD. but i have only owned it for a week. i knew about the problem when i bought it but i have always loved the look of these truck and thought id take a chance on it. probally a simple fix but not sure where to start. choke,ignition system ,carb. i figure its related to one or all three. just dont want to start replacing a bunch of hard to find parts to fix it. before i hear from sum of these shade tree / expert mechanics for some datsun advice lol

Take the top off the air filter when motor dead cold and look at top of carb. The choke plate will (or should be) open and/or partly closed. Pump the gas once and the choke plate should snap closed fully. If this is so than the choke is working properly. Spray the back of the carb with carb cleaner or WD-40 and move all the linkage parts so they move freely. Hold the throttle part open when doing this to release the fast idle.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

thanks for the advice.i thought the choke fixed it but problem came back. I ended up swaping my points distributor for a matchbox electronic dist . and now my problem has disappeared. thank you all for your responses. sorry it took me so long to get back but this is a project and projects take time and money which all of you know by now. RATSUN RULES may datsuns live on forever. gonna do a weber carburetor swap soon. also a set of titan wheels woooooo hooooooo

Datto heads! Whats up new member here and new owner of a 1973 620 pick up...I've been putting in work on the dats and it seens like I need a new carburetor...any suggestions..someone told me I can put a r1 yamaha carb...????

Yamaha carbs would take a but of work.

Your best bet is a Weber 32/36. Search around here a bit and you will find the best places to get one new.