L26 replacing z20 (engines)

Daryl

I need your guys wise help, for i am in a pickle! Here's the issue, I am getting a 1981 Datsun 510 with a blown z20 engine and the guy i am getting it from gave me the option to replace or rebuild. The question is can the block be removed and can a L26 be dropped in? Any help would be great.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An L24/26/28 can be done but ruins the car. Sealik had one, swapped it back to 4 cylinder. Also the L series motor will need an L series transmission. It won't bolt (properly, that is) to the Z series transmission in the car now.

I assume that you have a carb Z20? Easiest thing is a Z series motor transplant. The Z20 and Z22 are identical other than displacement. The Z24 (only found in the 720 truck and early D21 Hardbody) is 3/4" taller than the Z20/22 motors but can fit. The Z24i found in the Hardbody has fuel injection so best to swap a carb and intake on it for your use. Most stuff on the Z20/22 will fit a Z24.

An L24/26/28 can be done but ruins the car. Sealik had one, swapped it back to 4 cylinder. 

Yeah....although the bored L28 is going back in, eventually..... :hyper:

Firewall is already MIA......so why not.

Just have one more part to acquire...P90 or P79 head