510 hood differences?

SubwayGUY4

I can't seem to find an answer.

Are the 68-69 hoods different from 70-73?

I'm having terrible alignment issues. With my hood.

I have double plated hinges which means I definetly have 70-73 hinges, but where it mounts at the corners near the cowl, it is sunk in on both sides about an inch. Not to mention it actually hits the cowl when it opens.

And weird enough the center of the hood is flush with he cowl.

Do you get this effect with 70-73 hinges and a 68 hood?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sedan, 2 or 4 door, and goon should have the same hoods for the same years. A '68 2 door will fit a 4 door will fit a goon of that year but not anything on the '69 and up.

If you have the later hinge you probably have the '68 hood if not closing properly. Just a guess here but if '69 hinges will fit then the hood might work then? May be easier (and cheaper) if only hinges need to be swapped. I'll ask around.

Guest 510kamikazifreak

68 hinges are a one peice(not reinforced)They only fit 68's

If memory serves they move the hood foreward

later hinge,notice the spot welds...That is later style

$T2eC16N,!%290E9s37E2PBBP+lItM%28GQ~~60_

68 hinge

b6754aa4.jpg

I asked on The Realm. One person thinks the hoods are all the same and the '68 hinges are different. If so they must mount to the body different too. 

If this is the case a '68 hood should fit a later '71 with '71 hinges. So, I just don't know.

This may be why my hood has been a bitch to mount. I bought the hood a couple years ago and didn't think to ask what year it came off of. I do not have cowl issues but the latch does not line up at all ... had to slot the crap out of it to get it to latch:

8471580863_e53fe9135f_k.jpg

If the hood latch had to be positioned back this could have been the rad support has been pushed back in a small fender bender???

Well oddly enough other than what I stated in the first post... My latch up front was in perfect position. Lines up correctly along the fenders.

It just hits the cowl and yeah mounting points are sunk in. I would do the washer thing to raise it but then the middle of the hood would be way above the cowl.

Well shit. I got my 68 with a different hood on it but seemed to fit OK. I swapped with a different hood I had and it fits OK except for in the middle of the hood in the back looks like its bowed (the other hood also did this thats why I swapped but it did not fix problem) I think its doing this because I have no rubber hood stoppers along my fenders ( those are different too on a 68, has rounded opening and later years have slotted rectangular opening) which I cant seem to find anywhere.

I swapped with a different hood I had and it fits OK except for in the middle of the hood in the back looks like its bowed

Bowed as in the middle section of hood rises up above the cowl or middle section dips below?

I bought a used hood for my 70 wagon and the middle section of hood rises up above the cowl. I thought it was because the reinforcement/support underside of hood had detached from the hood skin. Now IDK.

Also, the hood latch does not line up. Latch is a bit forward on hood than the receiving end in rad support.

I haven't bolted it up to the hinges just yet, but these things I've noticed are obvious.

So much info and not sure sill.

'68 hinges are definitely different than '69 and later and don't work if swapped.

'68 hoods are thicker metal than later hoods.This could explain the different part number for the '69 and on hoods?.

'68 hoods may have different bracing under them than later ones.

I think the fact that some latches don't line up can be explained by accident damage and less than perfect repair some time in the last 8 owners and 45 years. Wouldn't take much.

Generaly I think the hoods are the same shape and dimension all years. Some slight variations could again be from fender benders.  

I saw the post on the 510 realm and replied there too.

I have found that some hinges got bent and had the hood sitting too far back and it would rub the cowl.

I have both later hoods and a 68 hood here. I will try to do a comparasion when it warms up a bit.

Come on springtime.