Small block in a 620 question

deejay

I know anything is possible with hammers torches and a welder. But is it practical to throw a Chevy 350 into a Datsun truck and what steps would you have to take to get the project done? Radiator placement, possible firewall mods, headers clearing stealing linkage, frame? The 620 I would be working with already has a mid 60s Buick 255 v6. Motor is worn out and either needs to be rebuilt, replaced, or swapped out completely to a different motor.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the above parties, rebuild the buikc or pick up the 4.3 chevy engine. That 4.3 can put out surprising power especially when built correctly and will leave you a lot of room over the v8 swap. However, if you are stuck on a v8 swap, realize that you will possibly lose leg room, structural integrety, and overall driveability compaired to what you already have.

Every sbc build I have seen on smaller vehicles just doesn't work out right. You have power but you can't keep it on the ground, and you go through tires/brakes/(insert drivetrain parts) like a woman in a shoe shop. Just know what you are getting into before hand and I wish you the best of luck on your truck with whatever you decide.

V6 sounds the way to go just ordered the brackets to make it disk up front.

It runs and drives but the 255 Buick motor from 1964 w/ turbo 350 trans in it has 2 dead cylinders and took a compression test high was 80 and average was between 40-60 psi so ya it needs a rebuild or better motor.

V6 sounds the way to go just ordered the brackets to make it disk up front. It runs and drives but the 255 Buick motor from 1964 w/ turbo 350 trans in it has 2 dead cylinders and took a compression test high was 80 and average was between 40-60 psi so ya it needs a rebuild or better motor.

I hope you get the brakes done before you ever drive it with the new/rebuilt v6. Even with the low power of my L18 the drums are annoying at times and I fear any and all emergency situations which is why I have order the disc brake conversion for the fronts as well. I learned the hard way that you should always make sure you can stop well before you can go fast (or go at all for that matter)

You will probably catch some grief because you asked about a v8 swap or because you have a v6, but it is your truck so I say do what you want with it. Just be safe about it because driving a dangerous vehicle on the road puts everyone around you at risk.

Side note, I would love one of the old 620 4x4 conversions that used the v6 engines. Would be the first truck I owned that I could actually use like a truck :P

i say again keep the buick v6 not hard to rebuild and they are different then whats out there with a proven performance past im not seeing a downside here and a rebuild will prpbably be cheaper then finding another engine