Name that trannie noise

Sealik

ZX trannie makes this noise in every gear at around 4800 RPM

Had no noise with this engine and a different trannie while they were installed in my truck

Input shaft bearing does whine a bit at idle.

Have another trannie lined up.....but...would like to somewhat 'diagnose' this before yanking it

69 510/LZ23

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

EPIC POST

2043309_o.gif

1264091579_kirk_rofl.gif

But yeah mine does that too only through a certain range of rpm in any gear. I figure it's just something buzzing from the vibrations. 

Hilarious.... :fu:  :fu: ....less the smiley faces

Diagnose..............and repair after it's been pulled

what makes you believe its the tranny ?

what year of zx trans ?

looks like you're having fun :lol:

Not sure of the year.
Well......it seems like the sound is coming from the trannie locale.
Other than the ZX trannie, everything is the same (engine wise) from when it was installed in the 720.
Revved to 6500 RPM...np problemo
Not sure of the year.
Well......it seems like the sound is coming from the trannie locale.
Other than the ZX trannie, everything is the same (engine wise) from when it was installed in the 720.
Revved to 6500 RPM...np problemo

gotcha ! you would have a better idear than I .. and you're smart to try to diagnose before pulling (carefully)..

a good local trans shop does this :cool:.

pull your center console , shifter outer boot , inner boot , and look at the shifter ear height and exhaust hanger ear boss castings (1 or 2 ) ... fastest way.

I'm sure you're well aware about the main shaft nut coming loose on 79' and earlier z car transmissions in general :)

input shaft bearing bad ? hmmmmm get er done ! and pilot bushing as well :) .. that alone is a problemo sooner or later :D

I just bought a 12-ton press .. rebuilding alternator right after I bought it

:sneaky: to bad you're not closer ! ... ima be pulling a trans apart to do bearings and synchros soon .. and hopefully it'll go back together with no extra parts :rofl:

Not tranny. At least not inside. Sounds too tinny like metal strap buzzing.

Is the shift hole open or covered? Cover if open  or remove boot if closed and see if it's softer or clearer. Might be inside car. Tranny cross member bolts tight into tranny hump? Rubber tranny mount bolts tight (easy to forget when laying in the snow eh?)

Damn, sounds tight yo.

Yeah.....I'm baffled.

Sucks when you have to shift at 4800 RPM....thinking you're going to drop something on the highway if you don't ...lol.

Trannie and shifter has clearance from body..... mounted properly.

It sounded like something was hitting the driveshaft... :blink: .........that's all clear....besides it's RPM specific.

No shift knobs, glove box hinges etc....are suspect and or were harmed during test run/video...lol

Spring is coming....snow has started to melt and already took the 510 for a quick whip down the road yesterday.

Guess I'll have to bring out my crack SU tuning device.

4ft piece of garden hose with a funnel on it........I'll stick the end through a hole for further diagnosis while driving.... :D

Someone asked about the tune that is playing in vid........

Possibly a dream.....within a 'dream'
Aliens...?....who knows.....landing in a sinkwell, pit or pond????
Take your pic...

No doubt Peyote, mushrooms and or LSD was induced...roll the dice.

Errrrrr...joint that is... :D

http://www.fleetwoodmac.net/penguin/interpretations/h/hypnotized.htm

Good tune though...

Got it .....its a internal baffel in your exhaust same thing happened in my bagged mazda .....it progressively got worse the more I drove it like a s13! Lol, meaning I drove it aggressively.....the tacknweld breaks and rpms cause the resonance

Hmmmmmm...can't see any baffle being in there, but who knows.

Maybe something fell in there before the exhaust was welded up....I'll check it out.

My thought was like the oil gutter and or in the trannie has been broken, hitting something...but, that would probably make a noise all the time.

Not knowing....think I'll rev it to 6500 and see what happens....lol

i was assuming u had a exhaust can of some sorts like a flowmaster or something...its some sort of baffle or heat shield ......that's a famous honda heat shield sound to it....high frequency buzzing in relation to rpm s always lite gauge heat shield type material   

ps that car sounds fun as hell to drive

Possibly a dream.....within a 'dream'
Aliens...?....who knows.....landing in a sinkwell, pit or pond????
Take your pic...

No doubt Peyote, mushrooms and or LSD was induced...roll the dice.

Errrrrr...joint that is... :D

http://www.fleetwoodmac.net/penguin/interpretations/h/hypnotized.htm

Good tune though...

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread879984/pg1

"On the discussion board, there was an old post by a guy who said he grew up in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. Apparently, the guy had been checking out the online discussions about strange power spots, vortexes and 'Earth anamolies'.

He said that one day in 1969, he and three friends were riding dirt-bike motorcycles in a large forested area near Winston-Salem. He described it as thick forest with bike trails worn through the woods. Deep in the middle of the forest was a large clearing. They had ridden their bikes there many times before, but on this day, when they reached the clearing, they were shocked to see a huge, perfectly round depression in the ground that was probably 80 - 100 feet in diameter . He said it was as if a giant iron ball had been pressed into the ground, buried halfway, and then lifted out. The dirt in the indentation was 'smooth as glass'. There was not a bump or a ripple anywhere. Of course they thought that it had somehow been man-made...dug out with bulldozers or something. But there was no machinery anywhere. There was no way to get any machinery there! There were no roads, just bike trails. They got really spooked and got the hell out of there. From what the guy said, all four of them were pretty spooked.

They went back to town and told some friends. A couple other guys went there shortly thereafter and they saw it too. The weird depression was gone within a few days, as if it was never there.

Now this is weird! ....supposedly someone took some photos, but never gave them to any news people, reporters, etc. The story became quite a local legend. I'm surprised it's not really famous. Maybe because the "mystery circle" was there and gone so quickly?

A couple years later, Fleetwood Mac released their song "Hypnotized". Some of the lyrics definitely sound like the Winston-Salem circle, although the term "pond" is used."

Straight pipe with just a supertrapp muff.....at the back of the car...lol

Sound seems like it's coming from the trannie locale....but.....the car is pretty loud, so it's hard to hear what is coming from where

Heat shield is tight...not hitting anything

I'll figure it out......eventually

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread879984/pg1

"On the discussion board, there was an old post by a guy who said he grew up in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. Apparently, the guy had been checking out the online discussions about strange power spots, vortexes and 'Earth anamolies'.

He said that one day in 1969, he and three friends were riding dirt-bike motorcycles in a large forested area near Winston-Salem. He described it as thick forest with bike trails worn through the woods. Deep in the middle of the forest was a large clearing. They had ridden their bikes there many times before, but on this day, when they reached the clearing, they were shocked to see a huge, perfectly round depression in the ground that was probably 80 - 100 feet in diameter . He said it was as if a giant iron ball had been pressed into the ground, buried halfway, and then lifted out. The dirt in the indentation was 'smooth as glass'. There was not a bump or a ripple anywhere. Of course they thought that it had somehow been man-made...dug out with bulldozers or something. But there was no machinery anywhere. There was no way to get any machinery there! There were no roads, just bike trails. They got really spooked and got the hell out of there. From what the guy said, all four of them were pretty spooked.

They went back to town and told some friends. A couple other guys went there shortly thereafter and they saw it too. The weird depression was gone within a few days, as if it was never there.

Now this is weird! ....supposedly someone took some photos, but never gave them to any news people, reporters, etc. The story became quite a local legend. I'm surprised it's not really famous. Maybe because the "mystery circle" was there and gone so quickly?

A couple years later, Fleetwood Mac released their song "Hypnotized". Some of the lyrics definitely sound like the Winston-Salem circle, although the term "pond" is used."

Yeah....some weird shit

Stories are somewhat embellished as time passes, especially when some are under the influence....lol

But....with that said...who knows

i had a noise like that at higher revs in my goon, took forever to find it but it ended up behind my ash-tray aloose bolt was letting a metal flap fap 

Well....next time a take it for a whip I'll remove the ash tray....lol

Come to think of it.....the dash is rather loose because of L28 firewall mod... :D

I was under the car the other day swapping the stubs out of the 720 diff and checked everything out.

Seemed fine...nothing obvious.

I'll pull the trannie plug and see if there are any metal anomalies stuck to the magnet...also have to pull the console and check the trannie ears/floor boards for contact ect.  

But.....winter and all

Which..............................sucks