521 rear axle brake T hose?

josh817

I read a while ago that on the 521's the T and the hose were one piece, where as those who buy the metric T's from other Datsuns have a removable hose. My hose is cracking, my brakes are SAE threads, I don't know what the flare is for them though. If I can remove the hose, I suspect I can use a standard drum brake hose for a 521. It looks just like the stock drum hoses...

Not sure what to think. Don't want to tear into it until I know for sure. SAE T's are easy to findm just need to know the flare. Mklotz and I had talked and he said "It's a standard 3/16" inverted flare. 45 degree."

Let me know what you guys think. T's are cheap, so are hoses, just trying to see what to expect. EDIT: Just looked up drum hoses, they have a male and a female end to them. I can't tell if this T block hose is two females or if its female at the brake line and male at the block.
2aenw95.jpg

2q04izn.jpg

When I do this fix I am also installing a 1" Wilwood master. When I initially installed it, the brake line was still slightly loose even though the fitting was tightened all thew ay down, it was squirting fluid. I need to find out what the flare is on the master. Can't remember if it was two mismatched flares that was causing it or if my fitting wasn't long enough and therefore not seating all the way before the hex head bottomed out. If you have any knowledge on that give me a shout. I'm running a stock master with my disk brakes and it works good enough but won't lock up the wheels.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The hose and tee block are separate.

DSCN0882.JPG

I have came across the issue in the past of the brake line connector being to short, to the point that you run out of threads on it before the brake line gets tight on the inside of the master, unfortunately the only way to fix it is to buy a fitting with more threads/taller and cut the line, exchange fittings, and re-double flare the brake line.

Also are you sure the the wilwood master is SAE?

I think SAE is 45 degrees, double flared as the standard. Not absolutely sure but when I bought my flare kit, I bought it with 45 degree dies and the extra 37 degree dies so I could cover AN and ISO too.

Also take a look at this if you want to get more confused: books.google.com/books?id=5rW-ppyB_ugC&lpg=PA90&ots=fcquekoInj&dq=metric%20brake%20flare%20angle&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q=metric%20brake%20flare%20angle&f=false

This is great quick info guys, thank you. The Wilwood unit is 3/8" like the rest of my lines so it threaded up nicely. That master worked as is on a Trumph Spitfire, the guy I bought it from is one of my fathers customers. With that said, I think I was told a Spit is 3/8" double flare. Worst case scenario I have to buy a 3ft section of hard brake line from Napa to replace the line from the master to the distribution block on the firewall.