• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/28473-how-to-put-together-a-shortshaft-5-speed-for-a-l20b/

heres the build thread no pic of my tranny mount lemme look some other places.... all i did was cut the mount perpendicular to the floor and offset it about a 1.25 inches and rewelded it and added some gussets...actually have a second one for phixius truck ...he can tell why tits needed .....lol....shit i sent him a pic of it i will see if he still has the pic of the mount and can post it

Haha I know. But I just got my tax return and I have neglected my poor truck. I would love to swap to a 5 speed so I feel comfortable taking it on the highway and not revving out.

Even with the 4-speed you'll run out of horsepower before you run out of RPMs.  Unless your engine is built up well over 125HP.  5-speed won't help that.  I ran cross-state (dang near 300 miles) doing 75-80 with the same rear gears and a 4-speed.

Unless you're running dinky tires, I suppose.

Lack of a 5-speed shouldn't be anyone's excuse for not going out on the highway.  These engines LIKE to rev.  They aren't GM V-8s. 

It's gonna be loud.  It's called lack of sound deadening.  You want to hear loud, should hear my '84 CUCV (Military Chevy) with 4.56s, no overdrive, 6.2L Diesel on the freeway.

Drive the thing, save up to do a proper swap and gather the RIGHT parts, but don't worry about it.  Rushing to get parts cause you have funds now, just means you'll pay more.  Wait for deals.  When you HAVE to pull the transmission for a clutch, do the swap then.  I've got all the parts to do the swap in my 620, but I'm not gonna even bother until the clutch goes.  Which may be a while, as I've gotten 100,000+ on a clutch that was slipping when I bought the car... and the 620 one feels solid as a rock.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.