L6 Flywheel-clutch on L20B

metalmonkey47

Is it possible/feasible to do? 

Only reason I ask is because I believe my flywheel is warped (all my clutches come off warped regardless of brand and PP combination, and it's not leaking) and it's annoying. I'm killing clutches on this thing. New clutches feel good for about a week before the initial friction zone is gone, and then they grab snappy and only start to feel friction at the top of the pedal. 

I was looking at aluminum replacement flywheel/clutch combo's and they are wayyyy cheaper and widely available compared to the L20B which is a lot harder to find at a good price.. Just seems like it should work, but maybe I'm under thinking this? 

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds like to me your using used cflywheels that need to be turned/machined.

importrp.com has cheap Daiken stock clutches.for 620s

and Daiken 225mm stage one if you want to break your leg on a stock motor.

when first in to my 510 I would get a new clutch once a year. Disc would alwas look good. then One day I put another flywheel on and never had that proplem again. Roadster PP should last over 10years for sure most likely even longer. So more or less I was throwing away good Roadster P/P thinking they were bad.

you can use any 6 bolt flywheel... 

the L/Z/KA have the same flywheel bolt pattern, and the Z and KA ones are plentiful. 

i had a Z24 flywheel and a 240mm clutch on the L20. its on the a Z24 again now. 

i preferred the bigger clutch. gripped better, even for just a stock clutch kit. might even be cheaper.

I recently got a 280 ZX 240 MM flywheel, pressure plate, to bearing, collar, and fork, and disk.  I plan on having the flywheel turned to clean up the surface.  I would like to get a new disk, not a whole clutch kit.

I called the friendly local Nissan dealer and a clutch disk is NLA.

Will a Z or a KA 240 MM disk work?

• 3 weeks later...

DERP. So I forgot I posted this until just now. 

I've been looking at prices and I've found that everyone lists the S130 2+2 flywheel under a separate listing?? Is it any different the the standard L28E-ET flywheel? 

What's the lightest these can be machined to? 

The reason I ask is because I want the grippiest thing I can get for it, and minimize parasitic loss in the driveline. The motor it's going to be attached to is going to be FAR from stock. 

I believe the 2+2 is a 240 mm flywheel or a differnt strength stronger. Its a heavier car

remember the throwout bearing and collor is based on clutch finger height.

to make this simple get a 620 225mm set up.if you have a 225mm flywheel

the car cars had alot of different set up over the years.

key is getting the flywheel machined!!!!!!!

you bleedin your clutch system also.?

The reason I ask is because I want the grippiest thing I can get for it??????????

whats wrong with a daiken stage 1 from importrp.com or other places. That should be more than enough.

http://performance.importrp.com/exedy_clutch/exedy_racing_stage_1_organic_clutch_kit/06805a/i-34392.aspx

price usually stops most people from doing this , or just get the stock Daiken as its 450KG I believ which should be good and about 100$

use the above listing to swap or see if part numbers the same between different vehicles

Stock 225mm L24 flywheels are 24lbs, stock 240mm L28ET flywheels are 28lbs, 225mm flywheels can be machined down to 15lbs without exploding but cannot be turned after being machined down that far, and 240mm flywheels can be cut down to 17lbs. Come in under the ring gear at a 35* angle, leave at least a 1/8" radius at the root, and machine the inertia ring flush with the back of the flywheel. Cut the raised lettering down flush, until the as-cast surface is removed. Remove as little material as possible to remove the as-cast finish everywhere except the big inertia ring around the outside. DO NOT DRILL HOLES! You want to remove the material as far from the center of the flywheel as you can get, and when you're done, you MUST ABSOLUTELY have it rebalanced.

That said, a stock 225mm KA24DE lightweight flywheel (13lbs) can be had on ebay from CBAutohaus for 113$. I regularly buy from the parent compay of CBAutohaus and they have very good quality clutch components, they are actually the OEM-supplier for the parent companies of Gripforce, F1 racing,  Bahnhoff Performance, XTD, ect. Before you condemn them based on being a "shit ebay clutch", know the following:

The shitty shit clutch kits that Gripforce, F1, XTD and the like sell on ebay are actually UNDER-RATED! I.E. you buy a 225mm Stock clutch for a KA engine and you get a stock disk with a cheap, low-end pressure plate that doesn't even meet stock spec! Buy the "stage 1" kit and you actually get a stock KA clutch, buy stage 2 and get a HD pressure plate and a stock disk, stage 3 is a 6-puck copper-ceramic with a HD pressure plate, ect. The supplier sells them what they order...then they turn around and sell it as a "performance clutch" when in reality it's just a stock clutch with some spray paint.

Honestly, I'd just surface the flywheel you have and run the exedy clutch.