Installing 4x4 oil and volt gauge on 2wd

DREWSDIME

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 85 720 2wd and I want to install the 4x4 oil and volt gauges I have the harness that I pulled with the guages, is the plug up in the dash somewhere to plug harness in? I thought every 720 had this in dash?

I thought so too... I couldn't find it.. maybe I need to check one of the other 720's I have the dash out so I can see better.

Good question. I thought all 720 harnesses were the same but maybe the 4x4 only has the extra wires. I don't know if all 4x4s have the volt/oil pressure gauges.. never seen one without. If it, is it's tucked up under dash on the passenger side of the heater. You will need the two wire sender that screws into the block. One wire for the red low oil pressure light in the dash and the other for the gauge.

oilsenderforgaugeLarge.jpg

I connected one of these to my 710 console. Just power from the ignition switch side of the fuse box for power and to run the lights, and one extra wire to the sender. 

The gauges in the console?

Not all the trucks had the plug, but if you do have the plug, it will be below the glovebox, over the narrow plastic change tray under the glovebox, it would be above/laying on the big duct that goes from the fan to the heater core box.

Did you grab the sender unit under the intake manifold on the Z block, this is what it looks like.

DSCN0787.jpg

It is not that hard to wire, I as I recall there are basically 3 connections, #1 is gauge lights/volt meter power/oil pressure power, #2 is ground, and #3 is oil pressure sensor wire, 4 connections if you want the gauge lights to come on with the dash lights instead of being on with the key.

If your wiring harness has the plug, the engine bay harness would also have two wires for the sensor, although one of the wires might be wound back into the harness.

Always always always keep and use the original dash low oil pressure lamp. The gaudge is a good diagnostic tool but you can't watch it all the time while driving.... you need the red light.

Yellow/Green stripe is the wire to the oil light. The gauge wire is Yellow/Blue stripe, but you can use any wire you like to connect to the gauge.

OK removed the stock sender that signals low pressure. (RED OIL LIGHT) The wire can be left as the replacement 720 4X4 sender also has this function. I got a dual plug and wired a male bullet connector to the wire so I can use the stock sender terminal. This way if I have a problem I can swap back to the stock sender and it will still plug in. The gauge sender wire I ran along the trans interlock wires for the automatic then up behind the motor and into the cab near the gas peddle.

The blue wire with red shrink wrap has the bullet connector that allows the stock sender wire to plug into the 720 sender. The Black/White wire just below it is the gauge wire.

710oilgageinstall012Large.jpg

The wire colors are a miss match but they are soldered, shrunk wrapped and tapped anyway

710oilgageinstall014Large.jpg

ALWAYS use a proper wrench to remove and tighten the Nissan gauge sender. You can turn it on like an oil filter but it might bugger it up and not work or leak. Apparently a 9/16 fits the BNPT fitting.

710oilgageinstall015Large.jpg

The install looks pretty much stock, and I like that.

710oilgageinstall016Large.jpg

I found the old sender was easier to get at if you take the oil filter off.

I had the 720 wire harness plug that matches the gauge plug and wired the light into the wiring for the light that illuminates the auto trans shifter. The only thing left is any power supply that is on with the ignition. I spliced into the windshield wiper fuse. It fired up and ran without leaking and the light and the gauge reads about 30 PSI at hot idle. Not bad.