Flywheel machining

Jan_280Z

Hey lads

My brother's clutch gave out in his 620 (started slipping rather badly). We got everything off but can't for the lift of us get the flywheel off. There's no issues - no scaring, scratches etc. - on the thing, maybe a tad of a glaze if anything. Is it required that i machine it or is there something I can do with it on the car?

Thanks

Jan

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not indicated to resurface the flywheel UNLESS cracks appear, or it is not flat (worn unevenly), or the surface is burnt (heavy glazing). Guys will tell you "it is cheap insurance" to machine the flywheel regardless, but that's not what the Datsun factory service manual says.

To remove the flywheel remove all 5 or 6 bolts then carefully pry it from both sides. Rock it off the end of the crankshaft.

Gentlemen one more question

Do any of you know where one could acquire something to pull the pilot bushing out? The one in there isn't too bad but since the clutch kit came with a new one I'd figure I'd throw it in there while everything was nice and off.

Thanks

Jan

Get a screwdriver and hammer. Slit the pilot bearing lengthwise in 3 places and fish out the pieces. Takes less than a minute. I figured this out in '72

OR

Get a wooded dowel that fits the pilot bearing hole. Fill hole with grease (here I recommend soft bar soap, it's less messy) and pound the dowel in. The pilot will be forced out by hydraulic pressure. Takes 1/2 hour and gas to go into town for a wooden dowel. Wife wants to know where the soap went.

OR

Get a pilot bushing puller. 27059.jpg$20 plus trip into town. Need a slide hammer to make this work. Use once never, have to use again.