Need tire lowering (rod) tool

ledzep30513

I have a 79 620 and I have the grey jack and I also have the orange jack. I believe the grey one to be the correct model. The orange jack requires the rod with the hook on the end (which I have one of), but that rod will not go thru the slot above the license plate holder. The other style rod, with the pin thru the end, kinda T shaped, will and I'd be able to lower the spare. This one I don't have. I also don't have the red handle to operate either rod. I have a few things I could trade or possible just buy the rod and handle from someone who might have a spare set.

Thanks, Jim 

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Jim,

I used a water meter tool that had a piece of notched steel  on the end to drop my tire. You might try (If you have a welder) welding a piece of flat steel to the end of a small diameter rod. Don't remember what the little guy looks like, I cut mine off.., Jacks don't fit under my truck now  :thumbup:

I got the rod from  a battery factory they use stainless to resist the corrosion from the sulfuric acid.   Any steel rod would work.   Re-bar, anything really.   You might get away with heating the end up cherry red and just beating the rod out flat , then heat and bend a handle on the other end.   

where is that long reed rod with a hook used at ? Sorry for stupid question but I've never seen original toolkit.

The loop at the end of the rod serves two purposes.  It goes in the slot to lower the spare tire, and it hook sonto the jack to crank it up or down.  The red handle sticks on the square tapered end of the long red rod and acts as your handle to crank with.

Not everyone knows what they look like.

> I've never seen original toolkit

Glad the photo helped the conversation.

You were right. Thanks for posting, that actually helped me.   I had an old tire iron in the scrap pile and I realized it was my original. lolz   now I just gotta blast the rust off it and paint it silver.

• 1 year later...

I apologize for bumping this thread, but I was wondering if anyone happens to have (or could take) measurements of the red rod and the crank handle from the original 620 jack kit?  I'm missing the whole kit, and I just want to remount the spare back up in it's location, rather than having the chain hanging down.  On a related note, with the spare tire removed from the hanger, how difficult should it be to try and rotate the mechanism to retract the chain by hand?  I can't get it to budge just using my hands, and I haven't yet tried any sort of tool to get some extra leverage.  I'd like to get the measurements of the rod so that I can try and get one made up to at least be able to use the spare tire hanger!

They will easily turn by hand. Yours will almost certainly be seized from rust and raod spray. You will have to remove it and loosen it. WD-40 and get it to move then grease it well. I broke mine on my 521 by hammering on it. Take your time. BTW it had the original unused 6.00 X 14 Toyo ? tire on it

• 4 weeks later...

I will have to look and see what the spare tire was that was on it.  I do know that it had a couple of holes repaired on the side, as it had the rubber nubs sticking out from not being trimmed off after being repaired.