need a straight answer please.

thestrange

So the PO of my 82 720 2wd welded the rear diff, I have searched for possible swaps but I won't have my welder back until late summer sometime. I know the 4 runner will swap but requires me to fab the 720 chassis, I just need a direct swap. clearly I would want another 720 rear diff, but sadly my local yard has none. They do have an abundance of d21's, will the axle just bolt up to my truck? Thanks all in advance :-)

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So the PO of my 82 720 2wd welded the rear diff, I have searched for possible swaps but I won't have my welder back until late summer sometime. I know the 4 runner will swap but requires me to fab the 720 chassis, I just need a direct swap. clearly I would want another 720 rear diff, but sadly my local yard has none. They do have an abundance of d21's, will the axle just bolt up to my truck? Thanks all in advance :-)

Just change out the pumpkin(center section), it's not that hard to do on a H190, you don't need a whole rear axle.

You will need to find what you need though, there are lots of options here, but let us find out what you likely have now, there is a silver tag/ID plate in the engine compartment on the passenger side above the inner fender well near the firewall, see the plate in the center of the photo below.

DSCN0759.jpg

Now look at the bottom right hand corner of the plate, see above the "W" on my plate where it says "HE38", this means I have 3.89 gearing/gears, what does yours say?

DSCN0761.jpg

Do you know how to check the gear ratio of a rearend?

Sometimes people like me change the rear gearing to suit are needs, and since yours has been pulled and welded, you need to find out for sure what you have, so basicly you need to lift the whole rearend of your truck off the ground since you have a posi, and turn the wheel one complete revolution and count how many times you driveline turns, 3.50 gears would be 3 1/2 turns, 3.89 gears would be almost 4 complete turns, a little more than 4 complete turns would be 4.11 gearing, do you understand?

The '82s had an H-190 so all that is needed is remove the driveshaft, drain the differential, remove the four bolts on the backing plates, remove hydraulic brake lines and lift the axles out about 6" to clear the spline in the differential. The emergency brake cable should have enough slack in it. Now unbolt the center section (differential) and lift out forward. Have a care they are 50-60 pounds.

The gears are in a self contained unit and can easily be replaced by swapping in another. Look on the outer edge of the large ring gear there will be numbers like 9:37. If you divide them you find you have a 4.11 ratio. This is just an example.