clutch 5 speed question

Stupid_fast

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my Roadster grabs more at bottom on my 510

My 521 I have a Spec clutch and its more towards the top.

Why. I dont know I adjust enough.

I jjust live with it

So pushing clutch to floor won't have risk of screwing up the pressure plate again ??

I don't mind living with it ... but I just want to make sure its not something I have installed wrong.

Thank you everybody for the help btw.... I know I've been asking a crazy amount of questions. 

Yes, something is installed wrong if you have no adjustment and the clutch only grabs at the top of the pedal. For example:

* Using the wrong slave cylinder

* Using an incorrect combination of: pressure plate and Throwout Bearing sleeve length

But it probably won't cause any damage, Hainz has a similar issue and keeps driving it.

Yes, something is installed wrong if you have no adjustment and the clutch only grabs at the top of the pedal. For example:

* Using the wrong slave cylinder

* Using an incorrect combination of: pressure plate and Throwout Bearing sleeve length

But it probably won't cause any damage, Hainz has a similar issue and keeps driving it.

Okay.

*internal setup is completely correct in every way and impossible anything is wrong at this point.

Only leaves the slave and master cylinder for error.  I ordered new ones, I'll report back when they're installed.

Does the transmission make a difference?  Do different slaves have different amount of throw?  It seems like you would want to match the slave to the clutch fork.  His clutch fork has the hole in it, so he will need the slave with an adjustable rod.

I have a '79 zx tranny and I'm using the same setup as Stupid_fast, with the older style 510 slave.  I've been driving it that way for 2.5 years.  The one thing that the PO used was an older style clutch fork boot that didn't keep everything sealed off.  I had to stick a zx boot on there.

Okay, I bled the clutch again and re adjusted the master cylinder, slave cylinder now has clearance, I adjusted it with 1-2mm play and put a return spring on it.

Everything seems good now !! Thank you everybody for your patience and help.

Car drives so much better with that late model transmission.  Sits up nice 3000rpm @ 72mph with the current diff. 

If the pedal is at the top but you have at least 1mm play at the slave, you can adjust the master cylinder brake rod under the dash in the pedal assembly, you can make the rod shorter so it engages the clutch sooner when lifting your foot, you want a little play at the top of the clutch pedal also, I usually have at least half an inch to an inch of slop, you can feel the return spring, and then you can feel more resistance when it starts pushing on the master itself.

If the pedal is at the top but you have at least 1mm play at the slave, you can adjust the master cylinder brake rod under the dash in the pedal assembly, you can make the rod shorter so it engages the clutch sooner when lifting your foot, you want a little play at the top of the clutch pedal also, I usually have at least half an inch to an inch of slop, you can feel the return spring, and then you can feel more resistance when it starts pushing on the master itself.

:thumbup:  Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow.