Driveshaft, Carrier Bearing, LSD Axle ARGHHHHH

h190

To prevent any assumptions here is the rig.   1977 620 Standard cab, short box,  s13 redtop sr20det, factory s13 fs5w71c tranny, Factory open h190 with 4.375 ratio rear. 

I originally shortened my drive shaft myself.   Drive shaft has help up extremely well considering the abuse it has been given.   When I shortened the shaft I installed new U joints as the ones that were in it were non grease able. Having the open H190 Fucking sucks big hairy donkey cock.  Its unpredictable, not fun, and SUCKS!!!!     I have been searching and calling and reading and searching trying to find a drop in lsd carrier for my h190. Nobody makes one, nobody has one left in stock and those that do have them either dont want to sell them or want from 600-1200$ for one, FUCK THAT.

I have been getting some noise from my drive train and I thought my tranny was making some bearing noises.  Upon inspection my carrier bearing has seen better days (hasn't everybody's).  I guess the small amount of vibration from my shortened and not balanced shaft was enough to shorten the life of my already worn and dry rotted POS carrier bearing.   I always said if the bearing went out then I would have a new custom shaft made (one piece).  Problem with doing that is this.  If I spend 300-400$  on a custom shaft I want it to be mated to a LSD carrier.   My only option is to shorten and install the pathfinder LSD unit.  If I have a shaft made for my H190 its not going to fit the H233.

Questions

• Can anyone recommend a good driveshaft shop?
  • Can leaf spring perches be purchased new?
  • Information on axle shortening?

My machinist and I were discussing axles and he said that many axles are a smaller diameter after the splines, these type of axles cannot be shortened.  Does anybody have a picture of the axles from an lsd H233?

Mike has informed me that the  LSD only came in 4.375 and 4.625 ratio.  

•  Is there a 4.11 ring and pinion set I can take from a non lsd H233 and swap in?
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can get spring perches pretty easily. Art Morrison has them, maybe Summit as well.

Hard to recomend a driveshaft shop not knowing your location. There is a driveshaft shop in Bellingham Wa. that did a great job for me. I gave him a measurement from output shaft to diff flange on a Wednesday and had a bulletproof 1 piece unit on Friday. Just over $225.00 if I remember correctly. Driveline service 360-734-7828 Ask for Rich.

Do they use new yokes or do you have to provide them?  I am located on the east coast, shipping is not a problem.

New everything. I went to the bigger solid forged 1310 ujoints so it has new front and back yokes. The shaft itself was used, from a Chevelle, shortened a bit. I would think you could find a place over there though, save on shipping.

I have called several driveshaft shops off google and they all claim nobody makes replacment yokes and other parts.   The driveshaft shop quote me 399$ for a basic steel shaft. YIKES!!!    and 529.99 for aluminum.

I Think the front slip yoke is from a d21 truck ( 1.375 OD with a 1310 yoke)  and the rear is from a Volvo. The rear is the same as the ones the V8 Z guys use. At least it was for mine. 

I plan to swap rear ends in my 620 because of the VG. I plan to use a Dana 44 from a Honda Passport. Basically because it has everything i want. The H233 Nissan unit is huge.

Dana from Passport

Already six lug

Already disc brakes

Factory limited slip is very common

Passports came with 4.10 and 4.30 gear stock

If i dont like the gears or factory locker, They use standard D44 parts that have been used for years.

Uses the same 100mm hub bore for wheel that Nissan does

It does need narrowed about 2.5" to match the 79 620 track width

The only downside that i have been able to find in my planning of this is that it is not made by Nissan.

What is the WMS-WMS (wheel mating surface) width of the 620 axle?  How about a 6 lug Toyota axle?  Parts and LSDs or lockers are plentiful.

Toyota Rear Axle Widths:
55" wide, '79-85 4wd trucks/4runners - 6 Lug
58" wide, '86-95 4wd trucks/4runners - 6 Lug
56" wide, '79-95 2wd Trucks - 5 Lug
60.75" wide, '95.5-up Tacomas/4runners
66.75" wide, '93-98 T100 trucks

Toyota would be cool I guess,   the passport Dana sounds better,  keeping it all Nissan sounds really good. I guess if I absolutely had to I would use a non Nissan diff but I am trying to avoid having a frankenstein mix of manufacturers.  

I am located in northern Tennessee, Nashville might have a good shop, alot of custom auto stuff there.    The rear yoke on the h233 axle is alot bigger than the yoke on the H190.

I think that uses a1310 u joint. So if you can score the mating driveshaft yoke your halfway there. The 1310 is used on many V8 cars. They come drilled for grease fittings, or solid forged crosses. 

Toyota would be cool I guess,   the passport Dana sounds better,  keeping it all Nissan sounds really good. I guess if I absolutely had to I would use a non Nissan diff but I am trying to avoid having a frankenstein mix of manufacturers.  

I don't see the Frankenstein mixture as a huge deal when you are installing stuff that is more than up to the task of the job.

I like the aftermarket support option of the D44, the H233 just doesn't have the same support and what support it does have is expensive.

• 1 month later...