Replica factory wheels for 620

h190

I have a 77 620 with the beebani disc brake conversion in the front   d21 calipers passport rotors.   I am currently running a set of 5 spoke titans with a 235 40 18.   I love the titans and the extra traction and the style but sometimes I really feel the need to put the stock wheels on.   My factory wheels have a very very nice set of whitewall tires on them and they are sitting on the shelf rotting to pieces.  My truck has an sr20det in it and if I could put my factory steelies on it would be the ultimate sleeper, I could even wear and old coat and a flat cap and act like a little old man driving around (maybe add an old camper top to add to the effect.  I really want to put my factory wheels on.   Cant the caliper be clearanced somehow?   They are super thick cast.  Does anybody know where I can get some 15 inch steel rims that look like the factory wheels?  I could put a wider tire on for added traction and I could weld on some of the ball studs so I can use the baby moon caps.      I almost wish I could go back to drums just so I could have that whitewall look again. 

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I currently have late 720 vented rotors with the dual piston hardbody calipers on my 521 truck, I am using stock 1979 datsun 620 14 inch wheels with hubcaps.

BTW, I have the later 620 lower balljoint control arms, upper lengthened 720 balljoint control arms, so it is not sticking out anywhere that it would not normally stick out, and I am using early 720 hubs, so the early rims will fit the hubs without any modifacations.

Yes but the 720s may have more clearance as they had larger calipers than the late 620 with disc brakes. The '78 and up 620 rims have to clear the disc brake caliper and have more clearance than your '77s.

Looks like you tires will fit the 720 rims nicely but it's unknown for sure if they will clear a D-21 caliper.

This is the work truck with 85/86 nissan 720 rotors, 81/82 hubs, and hardbody dual piston calipers, I never actually took photos of it before/after I did it, as I just upgrade whenever possible without saying much.

I just went out and took some photos of my setup.

DSCN0675.jpg

DSCN0674-1.jpg

DSCN0673.jpg

DSCN0672.jpg
And here is the wheel.
DSCN0677-1.jpg

DSCN0676-2.jpg

DSCN0678-1.jpg

what spindle are you using?  DOes the spindle have provisions for the brake caliper mounting?  If so then I will sell my brake brackets to someone else.   So can I get 720 upper conrol arms, late 620 lowers 720 rotors and put all this together?

what spindle are you using?  DOes the spindle have provisions for the brake caliper mounting?  If so then I will sell my brake brackets to someone else.   So can I get 720 upper conrol arms, late 620 lowers 720 rotors and put all this together?

NO, absolutely NOT!!!

You do not want to do what I did to your kingpin 620 front end, if you have brackets to put disc brakes on your truck, then stick with them, just use his brackets, then try a set of 14 inch wheels on it, if it doesn't clear the calipers, then find bigger rims, that is what you are going to have to deal with having that kit.

I did not understand what you were asking before, the reason I mentioned I had what I have was because I thought you had a ball joint front end, and you can just upgrade to the late 720/hardbody hardware by bolting it in.

What I did has issues, issues I have discussed with others so they don't make the same mistakes.

It took me years to get this setup to work properly, if I made one more modification I think it would be fine, but in the long run, I am just going to drop my cab onto a 720 frame, and be done with this mod.

Cuss,    You cant have brakes and sweet retro wheels lol   youc an either look cool or stop,  not both.   lol   I would like to get a caliper and  cut it cross sectional to see how thick it is. maybe just maybe you could custom modify the calipers to clear the wheels.

I already tried a set of 78 disc brake wheels.   Its a NO GO.

Was it hitting really bad?

What about a half inch spacer?

Do the 78 disc brake wheels look like these?

DSCN0677-1.jpg

Just because it is on a disc brake truck, doesn't mean it was for disc brakes, I am using very early 521 rims on my 1986 nissan 720 disc brake frame with vented rotors/calipers, and they don't hit the calipers, so I am skeptical about rims and fitment anymore.

But I keep forgetting that you have beebani's kit, I guess you need to start looking around for other 15" rims that look like stockers, and weld some hubcap keepers on them.

what is a good tire to go on the 14's? The only 14in tires I can find are kinda bland. My '79 620 king is ready for new shoes and I have a set of late 720 rims I found in pristine condition with vanity rings still in place that I gave $175. Will anything else go on these rims? The center caps are missing. What should I look for as far as caps go that will fit in place? Thanks. TC