H190 diff limits

andys320

HP doesn't ruin differentials. Torque does. Torque is twisting force.

So a 300 HP engine will be fine with an H190 if it is under 300 ft lbs of torque (as in most small engines). But 300 HP and 400 ft lbs of torque can destroy it.

The numbers shown are conservative yes, and are based on what OEMs rate their differentials at. It means with 285 ft. lbs. torque you can drive it 100,000 miles of normal driving no problems.

• Like 1
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HP doesn't ruin differentials. Torque does. Torque is twisting force.So a 300 HP engine will be fine with an H190 if it is under 300 ft lbs of torque (as in most small engines). But 300 HP and 400 ft lbs of torque can destroy it.The numbers shown are conservative yes, and are based on what OEMs rate their differentials at. It means with 285 ft. lbs. torque you can drive it 100,000 miles of normal driving no problems.

Exactly.

I mentioned horsepower in last since I didn't know the torque rating of all the members engines mentioned in my previous.

100 Ft-Lbs of torque at the engine. time a 3.6 first gear ratio, in the transmission = 360 Ft -lbs of torque on the rear axle. 

A long time ago, I used to tow a two horse trailer with a Datsun 521.  One time coming home from a horse show, the rear axle started to whine, and when I got home, I drained the oil, and it had a lot of metal in it.  I pulled the ring and pinion carrier out of the axle housing, and found a large piece of one of the pinion teeth, in the bottom of the housing.   But it made it home.

> I did I roughy bit of research and people are getting at around 350hp roughly 300ft-lbs of torque

Not very telling.

* An engine of 345 HP can make 500 ft. lbs. torque stock from the factory. Torque is a factor of RPM. The higher the RPM, the lower the torque (HP being the same).

* Nissan fours that make 350 HP are most commonly modded SR20DET or modded CA18DET -- 1.8 or 2.0 liters -- which can easily turn out 300 ft lbs of torque

* A modded Nissan FJ20 four-cylinder can make over 800 ft.lbs torque

Fourth gear doesn't matter.

Differentials are commonly rated for engine torque, so what matters is the typical 1st gear ratio. On Datsuns that is typically 3.5 to 4:1. On big american vehicles (like the Ford 9") it can be less than 3:1. You'll notice from this viewpoint that a Datsun differential is very tough for its size.

If you can find the Hitachi, Dana, Ford, etc manufacturer's input torque rating it will be 3 or 4 times the maximum engine torque.

In no case is it the max torque before it will break, but the spec is the max sustained torque over the lifetime that the manufacturer is willing to warranty.