What all is involved in mounting a Luv step-side bed to a 620?

Justin

I'm wondering if anyone on here has mounted a step side Luv bed on a 620? If so, what are some of the issues/problems you encountered?

Is it easier to move the gas tank to the drivers side or the gas tank door to the passenger side?

Do new bolt holes need to be drilled to get it mounted?

What else?

I got a smoking deal on a step side luv bed and I can't wait to mount it, but since it's on my DD I want to make it a quick-change over and I don't want to run into little hangups that will keep me off the road, so if you know of any major issues please let me know!

Thanks!!!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny you should ask....

I'm putting a stepside on my 620 that was mounted on a Courier.

You will probably have to remove the mounting channels from under the stepside. They're welded on. Courier and Datsun mounts were nowhere near the same. You may luck out there. The gas tank mouns will have to be modified. but it has to stay on the passenger side. Exhaust is on the driver's side. You don't want them on the same side.

The fenders are fiberglass,so it's an easy fix for the gas filler.

As far as 'style' goes,I think they look great.

I want pics too!

f9.jpg

In my opinion the hardest part is getting it level to the cab, you can draw lines in the air, and so on and so on, but when you step back and look at it from several angles, does it look level with the cab, I still think mine is off, the back still needs raised a half inch or so.

So get the front of the box at the height you want, then raise the back till it looks correct, take a very long look at it for a while, then look underneath and figure out what size square tubing needs to go where.

Can you see what I did here beside the capped tube, a rectangular tube goes all the way across using the stock mounts, and I welded a piece of rectangular tube to the side where the mount was and mounted it.

DSCN0794.jpg

Stepsides are an acquired taste, they are not for everyone, and no one, you or me, should be worried about what the negative people think.

DSCN0079-1.jpg

DSCN0078-1.jpg

My cab is sitting on a 720 diesel frame, so the tank is mounted on the frame, I had to notch the tube going across to clear the tank, if your tank was mounted to the box, I would suggest mounting it to the frame oon the side the fuel filler access is, and then do a exhaust, I had to pipe the fuel all the way across the truck to use the filler, what a hassle.

DSCN0804.jpg

DSCN0799.jpg

I'll try to snap pics later! The weather's pretty gloomy right now.

For reference though, it's the same "steps" as what's on Wayno's truck.

So yours has the molded in steps and frame cover at the rear.

Mine is one of the older ones. The steps are separate metal pieces.