Ultimate Lowering Shocks Thread

h190

I have searched, I have asked, I have looked, etc etc.   WHAT THE FUCK is the solution to lowering shocks for your 620.   I keep blowing factory shocks obviously.  The pinto shock mod is a great fucking idea!!!!  Too bad the compressed length is exactly the same!!!!!  What does this solve?  NOT SHIT.    They will blow the same as a factory shock, they are simply shorter to begin with = LESS TRAVEL.     I have been looking at the toxic shocks from pro comp, they are a true lowering shock.  the compressed length is alot shorter than the pinto junk.   40$  a pop. anybody used these?  Saw a thread about them but nobody gave any useful info just bs about the price,  i want to know if they work!!!!!!!! 

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/exp-418520

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/exp-413518

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what I did about the shocks, look on the last couple pages, I still have to fab up sway bar mounts though, or do without.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/27671-1966-datsun-520-kingcab-project-act-2/page__view__findpost__p__545211__hl__wayno__fromsearch__1

I can go lower, but I would have to raise the shock towers, but if I had a tire blow out on the hiway, I would be screwed.

It kinda depends on what year your 620 is, this is a solution for a disc brake/balljoint truck.

Yes I could hack on the upper mount and half ass weld some shit up and it probably work.  If I'm gonna go to that much trouble to cut and re weld parts of the front suspension then I'm just gonna go Qa1 coil over (which is the ultimate goal).  But for now as a daily how can I keep from blowing shocks and still keep the same ride height?   People say the toxic shocks are junk,   lets qualify this assessment.  How are they junk?   Do they blow too?   I have had pro comp tires in the past and they were very well designed and held up very well.  Dislexic,  why wouldn't a shock that is designed to work the same stroke at a shorter initial length work?    Even though I do have the tools to cut and re weld things,  a solution that everyone can use with basic hand tools in a parking lot would be more suitable. 

"we have our top guys working on a simple, cut & weld free solution"

but no one has come up with one.

im in the same boat as you where the end goal is coilovers but until then

raising the top mount is the simplest solution.

good on you for wanting to know why toxics are bad rather than people just saying "theyre bad."

i can tell ya ive had my pintos installed for only 4 months but im not scared of em blowin,

truck is a 73, my daily and lowered 3"+ in the front via torsion bars

Dude, my truck has an sr20 in it, its squirly in the rain no matter what I do.   I just called pro comp and they have all part numbers available and in stock. I would love to stiffen up my ride,   I'm rolling on blown monroes. They also said that their shocks have a lifetime warranty and if they ever fail to give therm a call and they would replace them free of charge.  Can anybody else that has any experience with the toxic shock series please tell us how you liked them.   Im going to order a set through summit after christmas, and if they work good, I will get some for the back.

^^^ He should be able to, if the D21 bolts up, then the drop spindles will bolt up as well.  2" lowering right there, keep your shocks from blowing out... 

Pricey, but will keep you from "Half ass welding" your shit.  PS, its funny you say half ass. Not to be a dick, but it's only half ass if you do it half ass. 

• Like 1

Half ass to me is not tearing the body off the frame and powder coating it while im cutting and welding on it.  Im like most guys, changing the spark plugs can lead to changing an engine. "well, while im in here sort of thing"   Drop spindles would be cool.   Elaborate on the swap.

bee has custom upper control arms to help convert to ball joints. im on my ipad now but someone will come behind me and post a link to the build page/etc or list the parts

and you meant z32 calipers (for anyone who reads this in the future)

I hav espoken with monroe and they dont make anything shorter in compressed length than the pinto and 620 factory shocks.  Yes dislexic the toxics are longer extended, and are almost the same compressed which gives a stroke longer than both the pinto and the factory shock.   Longer stroke= less likely to blow.  

http://www.procompusa.com/productlist.aspx?plid=1879&catid=1&subcat=90&ptid=3306&Year=1977&Make=NISSAN&Model=620+PICKUP

http://www.monroe.com/catalog/e-Catalog

the toxic has a 4.34" stroke while the pinto has a 2.625" stroke.   Basically the toxic is a factory replacement that has 1.10" more travel.

• 2 weeks later...

monroe 5751 8.5"-13.75",  only thing is its studs at both ends. put heim joints on the studs and done. im useing these to make budget coil overs out of scrap honda coils and adjustment sleeves, dont know if they will be short enough with hiems on them bu tworth looking at. they fit a 60 corvette in front. gabriel # is 82026 $20 @ autozone