New guy here from the bay area

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

im not sure about auto trannies, but I think its easy to swap it to a manual, but don't quote me on that.

The '78 auto and 4 or 5 spd are the same length so at that's the easy part. To convert to a standard you would have to get:

A 6 bolt flywheel and a matching clutch/pressure plate

A brake and clutch pedal assy.

A clutch master cylinder

A clutch slave cylinder, with push rod, which may or may not, come on the replacement tranny. Also the shifter, clutch arm and boot, release bearing collar and clip may or may not come with the tranny so you would have to find these pieces too.

Get or run a hydraulic line between the master cylinder and slave.

Install a pilot bushing in the end of the crankshaft

Swap the automatic speedometer drive into the new tranny to keep the speedometer accurate.

It would be best if you could get a parts truck, any model that has the standard. This way you have all the pieces at once.

As far as automatics go the Nissan 3N71B is an extremely tough, rugged (although boring to drive) transmission, that rarely goes bad, mainly because it's hard to drive the shit out of them anyway. Change the fluid every 30K and never tow without a supplemental tranny oil cooler and it will outlast the truck.

What size motor did this year come with? Where can I find OE wheels for it so I can install some white walls?

The '75-'79 trucks used the 2 liter L20B. A stroked larger displacement engine, big brother to the L18 and L16 of earlier years.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally had time to call the dmv. To reg the truck it will cost $488 excluding the tax on the purchase price of the truck. This would put the purchase over $2k with out touching the truck to make it look cool. Any thoughts? Should I hold out for a stick truck or even an extended cab?