Both rear panels are gray primer off something else or for some random reason, van looks solid and runs great though. Now I'm looking for a cheap ratsun paint job and some interior bits and we are good to go

Super cheap: Just hit those panels with a Satin spray can white.  White is super easy.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that's the plan so it all looks close enough to one color. I want to paint it like half a watermelon but can't talk the girlfriend into it lol, everyone would remember the melon bus haha.

If someone wants to throw a photoshop on it be my guest. Maybe it would help convince one of us. Either I'm crazy or it would look bitchin. Lol

We dropped 3650 and another 100 to have it delivered but mechanically it couldn't get more new and there is no rust or major dents. You can follow it's progress at the epic road trip thread in general discussion. Which will eventually chronicall our adventures in said vwagen

Nice score, Evan.  Just don't start spending all your time on The Samba.  Dial it in, drive it for a while and then sell it for twice what you paid for it.  The VW guys are nuts for nice camper vans.

PM me you phone number.  I will be in Kihei from the 28th to the 11th of Feb.  Come over for some BBQ.

Nice score you did good

I am starting to spend time on samba.. Datsuns are hard to find every time i come to a stop sign there is a nice bug... i walk out of a store there is another bug.... i go bike riding there is another clean bug..  I am almost at thepoint i have to have one 

I personally am not totally sold on air cooled quite yet. It sounds like a big pile of simple but constant maintenance and more problems than I care to consider. Frail 40 year old vw stuff kinda worries me but who know after driving a while I might be hooked lol. I'd never get a bug though. Don't want to cause people to punch each other when I drive by lol. Some cool ingenuity for sure and lots of weird quirky features and designs on all models but n

Eff I am having a horrible time typing on this iPod. Keep deleting posts reloading the page in normal view.

I'd still rock most any vw though but I'm still true to ratsun. Definitely got a good deal on this one. Wish it was a datsun caball or something bitchin like that. Lol but hey who knows I might be able to datsun it yet

I personally am not totally sold on air cooled quite yet. It sounds like a big pile of simple but constant maintenance and more problems than I care to consider. Frail 40 year old vw stuff kinda worries me but who know after driving a while I might be hooked lol. I'd never get a bug though. Don't want to cause people to punch each other when I drive by lol. Some cool ingenuity for sure and lots of weird quirky features and designs on all models but n

Having owned and driven lots of bugs and a van, and the Datsun is a way more refined driving experience.  However, you can pretty much get any damn part you want for a VW in any big city. Working on them is actually a bit simpler than most of the Datsuns, and you will find half the stuff starts with "..remove engine to do...etc..."  but that is actually very easy. Get a small cart or wagon, drop the engine and pull it out. You can basically move the engine onto a table by yourself if you're a bigger guy for the bugs and early vans. 

Well atleast that's good to know. The idea off always dropping the engine for repairs kinda sucks but atleast it's air-cooled. Since they seem to burn and leak plenty of oil, when it gets to that point would it hurt to add some 2t oil in with the gas as well? Lol or is it drop the entire engine to change spark plugs too? Haha

If anyone knows some good literature or has any things to keep up on/ watch out for I appreciate hearing it.

Haven't been on the samba yet. Wish it was dato powered so atleast i would have a solid parts source if I need it.

Currently buying

interior bits

Shop manuals/ guides

One of those flower shift knob dealios that some bosozoku cars sometimes have

Cool shit related or not to a vw that you think would either function with the van or traveling/ aesthetic purpose.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.