tranny choices......280Z or 620 5 speed.....

ok, went to the J/Y and found a 5 speed tranny in a 620, but it is kinda wobley adn might need to be rebuilt, on the other hand, i found several (see like 6) 280Z's and they were all fine!. so what would install more easily and which would be better? by the way, "I WANNA GO FAST!!!!!"

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

280Z 5-speeds are identical to '77-78 620 5-speeds except the speedometer drive cog.

'79 620 5-speeds don't have as nice an overdrive.

280ZX (80-83) have taller overdrives (81-83 the tallest) but have a really close ratio so takeoffs in 1st are a little (OK, a lot) slow.

280Z and ZX transmissions are easier to remove in the junkyard (trucks are a pain in the ***).

just so were all on the same page, it's the 10th vin number that is the year identifier right? and the cars i want have the round headlights right? what letters can i use on the vin? imma go with the 280 tranny. and it just bolts right into my 79 right or do i need to grab something else while im there to make it fit? i know i asked this before, im just making sure.

T-5 Tremec: You would have to modify the driveshaft length but that's ok because the spline has to be changed to fit the T-5 anyway. Use the end off the 280zx drive shaft. Additionally the clutch disc has to be changed as the spline on it is also different. The tranny is physically larger with much larger bell housing so very tight fit in a 620. Last, the tranny mount needs modification.

The Nissan 280z/zx FS5W71B 5 spd literally 'drops' in. Same drive shaft, same clutch spline/disc, same size, same mount.

Before removing, get something to drain the oil into. It's less messy later when you tilt it, nothing runs out the tail stock. Inspect the oil for flecks of silvery metal in it. Also take a good look at the bung, it has a magnet on it and will collect any ferrous metal particles. A black paste with fine particals is normal but beware chips and little pieces. The oil will be anywhere from clear brown (good) to black (still could be ok) If it is silver or milky, or like thickened coffee with cream pass on it. The last one I drained you could hear the gear chips hitting the bottom of the pan as I drained it and the oil looked like thick silver paint. Sure enough, the counter gear shaft was snapped in two.

Don't forget, that car was scrapped for some reason. Could have been a busted tranny.

And yeah, I did say bung.

The plate in the driver's door tells the manufactured year.

September or later of a year is usually the next year's model.

VIN numbers don't tell the year of a vehicle. At least not back in the 70's or 80's.

actually it started in 1980 if im not mistaken. i will be trying to do the install tomorrow night....wish me luck!!! any hints?