Track day build w/ Troy Ermish Z24 frankenstein engine

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Installing roll cage, I decided to design this cage so I could remove the belt cross bar to access the rear as the car is small inside, I still need to install the rear seat for aesthetics, it is near impossible to access the rear without removal of cross bar, so glad I did it.IMG_2793_zpsfcdd4818.jpgIMG_2791_zps5a2247d5.jpg  

DSC06259_zps1dbaeb68.jpgDSC06260_zpsdf2ea405.jpgDSC06267_zps32f57f95.jpg

Ya I did put a shim in, maybe I need more? [see picture]  Is this a common problem/concern with 510?  Have you had to shorten the links as well ? Bend the lip of the engine cross member ?

Thanks

On the BRE racecars they bent up the area around the sway bar by the cross member mounts.

Does anyone recognize this tach? not sure what its from but I have tried to get it working. It moves but is way way off actual RPM. I wired it as follows?

DSC00348_zps56abf3be.jpg

Red wire to white = 12v 

yellow wire to yellow = tach signal 

black wire to black = ground

IMG_2679_zpsce906454.jpg

IMG_2677_zps6933a556.jpg

IMG_2676_zpsef568550.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Not a ton. I have been busy elsewhere for most of the winter and will get back to it in the spring hopefully.

I did however dyno the car last fall and was happy to see it make some reasonable power. It dynoed at 209 rear wheel with a very wide power band. This with an AFR that was way off and we had problems trying to get it leaner. AFR was around 10.5:1. The problem I think was the jets I had bought did not seem to be correct. The jets that were in place when I got the Carbs appeared to be 160 mains which were way rich according to my AFR gauge. I purchased an assortment of main jets to move lean, I started with a 155 and the AFR went from 10:2 to 15:0 and climbing in WOT.. shut down! Back to the drawing board.

So the conclusion after some deliberation, the mains have been drilled! I hate when stuff like that happens, scratching your head, wtf. I have purchased 165, 170, 175 so on, now I can get a handle on it. I was thinking when it was on the dyno there is no way a 155 main will support that hp, and it didn't. We decided to re-install the rich unknown main size and make a couple pulls to get a base line rich.

I also attended a track day in the fall which was great to find all the stuff that does not work on the car! lol 

I found out how manual brakes work for threshold braking! ouch, they need to be pushed real hard! Going to change compound (wilwood). Any input here would be great. 

Also found out my starter does not like heat. My car lovesss to be push started! "hey guys I'm going out how about a push..." got old fast, lol.

I since have had a high torque gear reduction starter built by IMI. Awesome stuff, I have a very small odyssey battery so all is good, spins it over with no effort.

Lots of stuff came loose, it's amazing what the track will tell you in a couple hot laps.

I would like to get more tire under the car is one of the big quests I'll be on for phase two.

• Like 1

On a dynojet or other crappy dyno this should put out around 241hp. So that gives you an idea of how fast it is :)

They call the dyno dynamics the "heart breaker" because people get their cars tuned and do dyno runs on dyno jets and other dynos and then come do a run on this and see what their car actually puts down LOL.

dang!

all those 200 horses are cuz of that headwork! looks like its time to find an extra head to start working on... :lol:

whats the cam this ended up with?

I would have to check for the exact spec on the cam, I can tell you it does not like to idle well, luuumpy ! The engine is race built top to bottom to make power not just head work, although the head has seen a lot of input from valves, valve train machine work, lots of porting.. It does breath well from carbs to header. The power band is very linear and very wide, peak hp is made around 6800. I have the rev limiter set to 7600 rpm at the track, I have to stretch a couple gears, sounds pretty sweet around there I must say.....

I was actually trying to find a polyurethane engine mounts to help with idle lump, the engine just jumps around with the stock rubber new mounts. I was unable to find anything.. anyone ? anyone ? bueller bueller.....

On a dynojet or other crappy dyno this should put out around 241hp. So that gives you an idea of how fast it is :)

They call the dyno dynamics the "heart breaker" because people get their cars tuned and do dyno runs on dyno jets and other dynos and then come do a run on this and see what their car actually puts down LOL.

Very very true, been there done that,  241 does have a nice ring to it though, lol

Any eddy current dyno is the real deal for numbers

• Like 1