Track day build w/ Troy Ermish Z24 frankenstein engine

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have noticed other people's threads showing their previous builds so I thought it would be cool to share my last project as well.

rx7_02.jpg

This was my 1992 Mazda RX-7 imported from Japan, which I purchased with a blown rotary and proceeded to refit with a 6.0L LS2 mated to a T56 6-speed trans.

After countless hours (I can't even begin to count how many hundreds) into the car, I sold it to a good friend of mine and we plan to finish the last 10% of the build together. 

The engine received basic bolt-ons including intake manifold, stainless steel tubular headers, a mild cam (plus supporting valvetrain parts) and a hand-fabricated 3.5" exhaust, finished with a Borla XR1 muffler.

The clutch is a stock LS7-spec unit (C6 Corvette Z06) and the flywheel is a lightened piece from Fidanza. The one-piece aluminum driveshaft and custom axles were sourced from The Driveshaft Shop.

The idea was to have a totally track-ready car that was still civilized enough to drive every day. Fabricated brake ducts to help cool the front rotors. 

rx7_06.jpg

oil cooler + air duct  (who knew that a front plate could actually be useful)

rx7_10.jpg

front 3/4 shot in pit lane during one of its first lapping days

IMG_2067.JPG

the business end

rx7_09.jpg

the office (with functional ice-cold A/C)

rx7_12.jpg

2003-04 Mustang Cobra (clutch-type LSD) IRS differential swap with 3.73 gears

under3.jpg

Tanabe Sustec front stabilizer bar and HSD coilovers with Swift springs. Tires are Hankook Ventus RS-3s,  255/35/18 front and 285/35/18 rear

under1.jpg

Since we all know that project cars are "never quite finished", stuff left to do on the RX-7 includes replacing some of the suspension pieces (Mazda uses spherical joints on these cars from the factory, which like to wear out after approx 50k miles), adjusting the throttle pedal location for easier heel-toe (drive-by-wire so shouldn't be too difficult), finalizing the EFI tune, corner balancing, and maybe some fancier seats. 

• Like 1

Thought I would post some pictures of a problem I’m having with the front sway bar, I would like see if anyone else has had the same issues and possible corrections used. The sway bar is basically pinching/rubbing the frame area when the lower control arm is compressed. The radius of the sway bar where it turns back from the frame to the control arm area is the problem. I have made a 1/4” spacer to put above the sway bar bushing u bracket to bring it down slightly which helps a bit clearance wise. I also shortened the sway bar links around an inch to keep the bar turned down slightly for more clearance in compression. The engine cross member front lip had to be bent down as well to clear the bar as it rotated, it was hitting. The sway bar is from Quickor Engineering, I have front and rear bars from them.

IMG_1800_zps9ce8cd9f.jpgIMG_1799_zpsbe6aa59a.jpgIMG_1807_zpsb86fa9f6.jpgIMG_1801_zpsd56a4cf2.jpgIMG_1809f_zps45396289.jpg

I thought that lip was supposed to be bent upward slightly.

Normally the sway bar should clear the frame rails. Perhaps it would be closer on a lowered car and rub when the suspension compresses...

When you say the lip, the engine cross member ? it was up, I bent it down to clear the sway bar center  rotation.

• 7 months later...

Sold my Ermish stage one suspension, had stage two on order and moved on, I had ground control build me a new set for track street use. Very low, short springs lol. Caster camber plates, they modified my original housings and added supports to strengthen them. Really nice job ! Great to deal with.

IMG_2629_zps39a089de.jpg

IMG_2632_zpsdc958ef7.jpg