71 510 steering box

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the newer 510s(A10) ones will fit also.

Have you tried thighten the jam screw???????

yes its all the way down and there is still a little play in the steering wheel. my car wanders all over the road and i have replaced tie rods , ball joints and all front end bushings. all i can think now is that it has to be in the steering box, anybody got any suggestions?

Probably need an alignment if wandering. Also try swapping front tires with the rears.

You can't rebuild the 510 box. Mybe the bearings (buut I don't think so) definitely not the worm gears, no longer made. The later HL510s (A10) steering boxes are supposesd to fit, also the 710 look the same too.

txt Carter Boad 425 275 7746 he might have one lives up in Bothell,Wa I think

I would get the front end alighd first

I gave away a box Free to a guy up north dont know if he ever used it or was just looking for free parts.

thanks hainz, think i found one, did alignment right after tie rods and ball joints, still had the same problem thats what brought me to the steering box, if this doesnt fix it i dont know where to look

I don't know what the steering box ratio is but as an example the 620 is about 19 to 1. This means that if all the ball joints, steering box and wheel bearing slop were added up and it came to only 1/8", the steering wheel would move over 2.3" back and forth.

Then this tells me it isn't the box.

Bad tire, swap fronts to back.

Check air pressure.

Loose wheel bearing. Set pre load correctly.

?????

Camber?

Toe?

Positive caster makes the car center itself after a turn. More stable on the highway.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.