hardbody/datsun rear end difference

Zlich

The D-21 and WD-21 are wider by about an inch per side than a 720. The D21 rear ends are leaf spring but I don't know if the same spacing as the 720 leaves. The WD-21 Pathfinder are coil springs and 4 link with panhard bar so lots of trimming and grinding.

My Pathfinder 4 link. I would have used a D-21 but there weren't any available near me.

Pathfinder--D-21conversion029Large.jpg

Pathfinder--D-21conversion031Large.jpg

Pathfinder--D-21conversion035Large.jpg

Some WD-21 Pathfinders came with rear disc brakes, I don't think the D-21 did.

WD-21 w/rear disc and 720 axles on right..H-233 axles are thicker and 31? spline.

720stuff021Large.jpg

720stuff020Large.jpg

The early D-21 Hardbody to '93 had an LSD option while all Pathfinders did (4.375 and 4.625 only) up to the Xterra but earlier units had the higher brake away settings and later ones were for soccer moms. The differential mounting studs to the housing changed to 12 from 10 around '94? and also the spline count, so early axles won't fit later diffs. Something like that, you'll have to research this.

My 4 pinion H-233 4.625  LSD. This thing is HUGE and larger than a Ford 9".

Pathfinder--D-21conversion027Large.jpg

Engine tags on the pass inner fender under the hood hinge will list the factory installed diff and the ratio but not if LSD. Look on the back side of the diff under the dirt for a stamp sized orange sticker that says...

Pathfinder--D-21conversion039Large.jpg

...or simply LSD.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So my junkyards gonna charge me 137.50 for the whole rear end assembly. Is that a good deal?

I'm going to see if I can piece together a rear end.

My plan is to get a solid 720 driveshaft with the d-21 rear end with a pathfinder lsd diff and disc brakes. I'm taking everything off the pathfinder rear end and putting on the d-21 rear end.

Is this possible and will it still be wider than the stock 720 rear end?

Thanks,