hardbody/datsun rear end difference

Zlich

Im just wondering if their is anything different between hardbodys rear end and the older 720 datsuns? and If anyone would happen to have the measurements from the front shackle to the rear shackle and if they are the same it would be super helpful for some aftermarket shackles I just found.

• Like 1
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The D21 may be wider than the 720 drum to drum. The late 720 4x4s used a 4.11 C200 rear axle. The D21s with Z24i motors used a 4.375 C200 differential The KA24 used a 4.11 C200 through '92. After that they were all H233 I believe.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Yeah the leaf springs are interchangeable, but the axles are much bigger on the hardbody.  The H233B only came with 4wd D21/WD21 after 90, early Pathy and Hardbodies were H190.  The C200 is for all 2wd D21s, and may well have been on the 720s, but I thought it was still H190 at that point.

• Like 1
All 2wd 720s were H-190. The later 720 4x4 switched to C200 with the Z24 motor.

Well if you read between the lines the early 720 4X4 were H-190. Also the driveshaft yoke for the early 4X4  H-190 changed when the driveshaft was made larger diameter. Thank you Nissan for also changing the spline on the pinion so that a 4X4 yoke will not fit a 2wd H-190. Found this out the hard way.

• Like 1
All 2wd 720s were H-190. The later 720 4x4 switched to C200 with the Z24 motor.

2wd D-21s had H-190 on all 4 cylinder trucks through '93

4X4 D21s with 4 cylinder motors were C200 and VG s got the H-233.

Clarification Mike, my D21 is a 4 cylinder 4x4 extended cab, and it got the H233B.  I verified the vin with Nissan, though someone had swapped motors, but it's right there on the door tag too.  Mine is a late '92, so '93.

• Like 1
any of you guys happen to know how much of a lift I would need to clear 32/33 inch tires? Im fine with doing cutouts if needed.

My 30x9.50s rubbed on the 720 rear fender edge.  A sledgehammer will fix that, or a lift.  Sawzall fixes the front edge. ;)

720tree3.jpg

• Like 1
Clarification Mike, my D21 is a 4 cylinder 4x4 extended cab, and it got the H233B.  I verified the vin with Nissan, though someone had swapped motors, but it's right there on the door tag too.  Mine is a late '92, so '93.

Matt you are correct. I should have dug deeper. Jan '91 on 4x4...  KA24E had H-233.

• Like 1

I know 31s will fit cause my dad runs them on his pathfinder. But I dont have a set of 32's or 33's on hand to test to see where all itll rub and if anything will get in the way besides the fenders. I know I need some different rims for my truck all the way around cause mine have sucha negative back spacing my tires rub the frame in the back.

Yeah, but Pathfinder and 720 are vastly different with fender clearances.  Hardbody/Pathys had optional tire sizes of 31".  720s did not.  Trust me, anything over 30" will rub the firewall.  Just don't turn sharp or bottom the suspension all the way out and you'll be okay.

• 2 weeks later...

i had a 2 wheel drive hb on 31s a while back. had the torsion bars cranked almost all.the way and 2" blocks in rear and still had to sawzall the fenders to keep from rubbing. you can always go body lift if on a budget or try to find some yoda lift leafs dont know what to do in the front