Weber Adapter - mklotz70

mklotz70

This isn't so much of a how-to, but it didn't seem to fit anywhere else. I had these blanks water jet cut a couple of years ago by a member in VA. Got a pm recently requesting one. I said I wouldn't do anything with them unless I got a wild hair up my butt.......well, apparently I did. :) I'm sure the vid won't be done until tonight.

IMG_2611.jpg

IMG_2615.jpg

IMG_2618.jpg

IMG_2619.jpg

IMG_2622.jpg

IMG_2624.jpg

IMG_2626.jpg

IMG_2627.jpg

IMG_2629.jpg

IMG_2630.jpg

IMG_2631.jpg

IMG_2632.jpg

IMG_2633.jpg

IMG_2634.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At this point, I don't have any plans of making them, but I might go ahead and submit the CAD art to the laser cutter and see what the blanks will cost. I'm pretty sure I'd have to sell them for at least $50ea to make it worth it. I could have them completely machined, but unless I could buy a large batch of them, they'd probably be even more. I might check on that too. I first need to see what's available on the market.

Here's the vid.

I'm just going to throw this out there. I seem to be the only person to notice this or have had this problem. On 3 different occasions I've had to slightly hog out the carb base mounting holes because the adapters are not lined up as they should be. The carb will go down almost all the way and then bind. I've mentioned this before on numerous threads but nobody seems to know what I'm talking about. My conclusion is that people force them the rest of the way down.

I've seen this with new factory weber kits.

you're saying the bolts are too close or too far apart? Two of the studs will just be longer ones mounted in the manifold, the other two (to the carb) will be studs that were removed from the mani....... which brings up a questions I have. Do you guys know what the size/thread pitch is of the holes in the mani? I can go pull some studs from a mani here, but I thought I'd ask in case you know off the top of your head. :)

• Like 1

I'm just going to throw this out there. I seem to be the only person to notice this or have had this problem. On 3 different occasions I've had to slightly hog out the carb base mounting holes because the adapters are not lined up as they should be. The carb will go down almost all the way and then bind. I've mentioned this before on numerous threads but nobody seems to know what I'm talking about. My conclusion is that people force them the rest of the way down.

I've seen this with new factory weber kits.

I have seen this on more than one carb and different adapters also and drilled them out just like you,,, i can`t remember which way the studs were to close, just remember they were.

I haven't had that problem, because I don't use the thin 1-piece adapters. Every one I've seen had the threads ripped out from them being gorilla torqued, but maybe that's because they bound up and got forces sideways. I use the tall Trans-Dapt cast adapters, but that does require a short filter in some cases. I've also used the 2-piece adapters with decent luck, but I had to locktite the allen bolts to the manifold because they always back out.

not sure if these will even work, but I put about 5-1/2hrs into them today. They're not done, but they're getting close. I figured out to use the boring bar!! lol Read the siggy!

Here's the vid link, it's still uploading but I had the link handy.

I made two posts to this this morning....before the hiccup. Now I don't even remember what all I put in them. hhmm.....They won't be cheap. I'm ordering helicoils for the threaded holes, so these will go on the shelf for at least a week or so. Turns out I already have the insert tool and tap....."new in the box". Probably bought it back when I had these blanks made....but I don't remember...oh well, I can take that $60 of stuff on the McMaster order now :)

Maybe if someone got the email notification, they can copy/paste what I put in it. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Let's see if posting pics works.

The last of the reference pics.....

IMG_2791.jpg

IMG_2793.jpg

IMG_2794.jpg

IMG_2795.jpg

IMG_2807.jpg

IMG_2815.jpg

So...here's what's left.  I'm keeping one of each for myself.  One 1/2" is getting shipped out tomorrow to a very patient buyer.

weberadptr1.jpg

The 3/8" goes out with long and short bolts since I don't know how thick the insulator is.  The 1/2" goes out with longer studs and just long bolts.  The stock studs won't reach through the 1/2" adapter, hence the longer studs.

weberadptr2.jpg

I'll post up a for sale thread when I get a chance, but I can tell you right now....I'm not making any more of these anytime soon.  When/if I do, I won't say anything until they're done.  I need to quit selling stuff before it's finished.....it keeps forcing me into someone else's schedule, not mine.  Anyway....This project is done! :)