NAPZ 2.4 block with KA24DE truck head and fuel injection?

DREWSDIME

Talking with a buddy at Eagle Rock swap this weekend we started talking about engine swaps for my 720. I was mentioning KA swap and he suggested putting a dual cam or single cam KA head from a truck on my NAPZ 2.4 block. He swears it will work, any suggestions on why or why not.

• Like 1
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im just trying to figure out best/ easiest way to do swap. I was thinking of just getting spare NAP 2.4 block and some KA pistons and then just get a dual cam or single cam head from a hard body or frontier, and building a motor. Or just getting a complete motor from a hard body or frontier, but then I have to find someone to make mount for me?

• Like 1

You really don't want to do it that way, if you're thinking what I'm thinking. You want the weight centered on the insulators, otherwise they get twisted out of plumb. Make the engine want to move forward, back due to levering action. You could cut the stock metal mounts, removing the block attachment plate, and weld on a new plate drilled for the KA's different mounting hole locations, that would work, as it would keep the mounts properly sandwiched.

• Like 1

L20B doesn't fit the KA 5-speed. Not properly -- it may bolt up but the slant is different. One more reason just to swap the entire KA in.

All you have to do is swap the bellhousing. And besides, any trans that fits a Z will fit a KA.

On the other hand, the KA truck blocks are the ones I have experience with, not the car blocks. We used the truck blocks to build the GT3 240sx motors because the car block had a sort of built in bellhousing, like the flathead Ford V8's. Do the car blocks use a different bellhousing than the truck blocks?

Besdies, I thought you guys were talking about Z24, not L20B.

• Like 1

Wouldn't it be less work to swap the whole KA in there? The motor mounts are almost exactly the same.

And fits the 5 speed .

What does that mean? Which motor doesn't fit the 5-spd?

We were talking Z24 and KA motors. I said the KA will fit the Z24 5 speed it's the only other motor that does this.

.....Besdies, I thought you guys were talking about Z24, not L20B.

We aren't. You said what motor doesn't fit the Z24 5 speed. L series doesn't, neither does the VG, CA, ... hell it's easier to list the ones that do.

• Like 1

We were talking Z24 and KA motors. I said the KA will fit the Z24 5 speed it's the only other motor that does this.

Got it. I was a bit confused for a second.

What about the question I proposed; does the KA car block, with that weird starter mounting area, affect which 5 speed you can use?

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Seems like too much of a hassle for the swap your going for.

Would you rather do a full KA swap or do half a swap and mess with the wiring harness so it will work. I'd rather make motor mounts or have them made than to stress myself on wiring. But if wirings your thing, give it a try.

• Like 1