3 wasted studs? or bolts? help!

PtheDude

I've got one of these going on my L20b the 3 studs around the mount for the down pipe are wasted.

ScreenShot2012-11-11at92415AM.png

Are they studs? can I heat them up, and get a grab on them and get them out? or should I just bring it somewhere to have them machined out? again, not at the block, at the bottom. I'm getting it powder coated for my hotrod, so your input is appreciated and time critical!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They are studs, and they have rusted in place. You can drill them out, and then retap the holes.

If you have time, do this first. You can use electrolysis to get rid of the rust. This page for details.

http://community.rat...l__electrolysis

I have also been doing some rust removal, using molasses. Mix 1 part molasses with about 7 parts water, put the end of the manifold in the solution. Give it time to work, it works better when warm. I have actually had some good results using an old crock pot to keep the molasses warm.

If you do decide to drill them out, start with a center punch hole in exactly the center of the broken off stud. I actually gring the end of the stud off flat so I can see the center better. Then drill with an 1/8 drill bit, making sure you keep the hole centered.

The threads in the manifold are M 8x1.25. The largest drill you can use, assuming the hole is exactly centered is 17/64. I like to use several intermediate sizes between the 1/8 drill, and the 17/16 drill.

If you happen to get off center, do not use the 17/64 drill, stop at something smaller. Use a center punch to drive the remaining part of the stud toward the center of the hole, and see if you can loosen it that way.

I freakin cranked on this for 2 hours. wasted a good pliers, and broke another stud. The 40+ year old manifold is down the street in Ballard, at Seattle Muffler. 100 bucks to get new studs.

!@#$%!@#$!% I can do lots of things, this wasn't one of them.