front springs on a 720

just testing the waters for a crazy idea. i was thinking about either going to coilovers or fabbing up something on my 720. just curious to ask people who are much more knowledgeable about suspension. i want to eliminate my torsion bar setup and keep the ifs. any sugestions and tips are awesome and welcomed!!

i was thinking i could find some tacoma springs and possibly fab them on to my uca and lcas. i dont know too much about this and suspension so maybe im just crazy B)

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i was thinking i could find some tacoma springs and possibly fab them on to my uca and lcas. i dont know too much about this and suspension so maybe im just crazy B)

For someone that doesn't know much about this suspension, why bother? Perhaps you are not familliar with the torsion bars or had a Toyota before? A coil spring doesn't fit up to the upper control arm. I'd leave it alone. They work just fine.

yeah i have found some coilover conversions for the 620 but dont know if there interchangeable. and im not ignorant to this stuff there just alot of people on here that know alot more than i do. and im starting a preunner build so thats why i want to get rid of the torsion bars!!

You could always extend the shock mounts UP and run a coilover, but there's probably more to it then just that.

I've been reading into that a lot for my own truck. I'll try to find some more information for you.

edit:

Here's something I was poking through a few nights back. It's pretty much all Ranger info with the twin I beam setup, but regardless is still some pretty useful information. When it comes down to it, you're probably gonna end up updating ALL of the front suspension.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/WheelTravel.html

An interesting look at a coilover setup on a Yota. This one didn't have torsion, but essentially did a lot of what you want to do. Ditch the stock components for coilovers. All his control arms look like production stuff, but someone had to make it right?

Blake%2527s%2BLT%2BTC%2Bkit%2B001.JPG

Blake%2527s%2BLT%2BTC%2Bkit%2B003.JPG

Blake%2527s%2BLT%2BTC%2Bkit%2B005.JPG

An interesting look at a coilover setup on a Yota. This one didn't have torsion, but essentially did a lot of what you want to do. Ditch the stock components for coilovers. All his control arms look like production stuff, but someone had to make it right?

Blake%2527s%2BLT%2BTC%2Bkit%2B001.JPG

Blake%2527s%2BLT%2BTC%2Bkit%2B003.JPG

Blake%2527s%2BLT%2BTC%2Bkit%2B005.JPG

Actually that truck did have torsion bars from the factory. :blink:

im in "the process" of a coilover conversion myself, not in a rush though.

first step for me is the kingpin to ball joint conersion, as well as disc brake swap

i have beebanis upper contol arm, and he has a mount for coilovers he sells as well.

I had 2 80's yotas and both came stock with coil springs in the front.... Not sure why you think it had torsion bars

If you guys look a little closer and realize that that truck is a factory 4wd torsion bar truck and not a factory 2wd.

A factory 2wd drive toyota still had torsion bars from 84-95 maybe even older too, but in 96 they all got coil springs in some form.

yeah beebanis had an interesting idea. weld a larger shock tower ON TOP of your factory upper control arm. that way you dont mess with alignment and everything. its a really brilliant idea but i figure if i am going to buy coilovers i mine as well go balls deep and get longer ucas and lcas. but i have been looking into this and the extended shock tower on the uca sounds like a good idea. i dont know of anybody that makes long travel suspension for 720s though..... total chaos makes them for yotas but not nissans.