Pics and vids of my 620

cg78

I am new here so this may be a bit long. First I have a 78 620 king cab with a LZ22. Engine mods.... z22 bottom bored 1mm, balanced with a lightened flywheel, L20b head with 280z valves a custom grind 312dur 510 lift cam and fully ported, turbo oil pump and spray bar, cannon down draft intake and a weber 42 dcnf with 240 jets and 34mm chokes. Drive train....exedy organic stage one, t-5 280zxt trans and pro 5.0 shifter, 4 inch blocks and air bag helper kit. Wheels....16x8 inch american racing python with perilli p6's. Yes they rub. I am sure there is more I always forget since it has been about 4 years since I started. Here are some pics and a idle vid.

080130_122256.jpg

080130_122338.jpg

th_MOV00767.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa! ANother DCNF! I thought I was alone on this one. How does yours run? Sounds fuggin animal. What's your jet specs (air/main/idle/tubes)? I really haven't gotten mine to run strong, but i think its because the L16 is starting to die. Oh and its a 42dcnf too.

-Brian

Nice....sounds like a monster!! :eek:

hehe, how is it on gas?? :lol:

Thanks and its crappy. Around 12 mpg 91 only and I cannot use any thing else.

2eDeYe;63895'']Nice KC, love the color :D

Primer black ftw. Gets a scratch just shoot a rattle can lol.

Whoa! ANother DCNF! I thought I was alone on this one. How does yours run? Sounds fuggin animal. What's your jet specs (air/main/idle/tubes)? I really haven't gotten mine to run strong, but i think its because the L16 is starting to die. Oh and its a 42dcnf too.

-Brian

Mine is temperamental but then again I changed the mains with out touching any other jet. I am still up in the air about keeping it. My mains are drilled out to 7/64 inch drill bit which should be a 277 main. I believe my correctors are 175 and my chokes are 34 mm. In your situation it may be a bit too much carb. You might want to see what choke is in yours. As mine sits with those chokes it should be 500cfm. I do not know whats worse the fact that I am up in the air about this carb or the 225 dollar cannon intake I modded to make it work.

Just a side note Nathan Gerolamy built my motor son of the infamous B.C. Gerolamy.

Nice work...those motor swap/build/patch together projects can be a ton of fun...or they can end up being a ton of work. How has it been for dependability? Are you still running the stock ring and pinion in the rear? What is top speed? (I won't tell anyone);)

Nice work...those motor swap/build/patch together projects can be a ton of fun...or they can end up being a ton of work. How has it been for dependability? Are you still running the stock ring and pinion in the rear? What is top speed? (I won't tell anyone);)

It has been a pain but with nissan pistons in it now it has been a lot better. Yea stock ring and pinion out of a 73 donor 620. I am not sure of my top speed yet. I know that like 3k rpm is 75 or so. The overdrive is very nice in the t-5. I imagine it has to be like 130 or so. I have had it up to 4500 in 5th and the oem speedo was buried well passed 100. I think I am off by 20 mph. I learned my lesson the first time on rear ends. NO 6K drops it for some reason does not like it. I had to though and man was it fun on the old cam, so I am trying very hard not to do it with this one. I am making more power than before and all I do is drive it normal for now getting on it occasionally. I am having shifting problems though so it may be slowing me down a bit. The 3 4 slider went bad and it has hung in forth again so now it me be the dog teeth. I have the tranny place take it out cause man its a bitch. It is way crammed in there. Being this will be the third time it has been out I may just bend over and have him replace every thing. We will see this monday when I take it to him and get the look of not that dam thing again.

All n/a 300zx's had fs5w71c's. Only the 84-86 turbos had the WC-T5 which is a much better shifting and drivable transmission but the fs5w can take a SERIOUS beating.

Oh and you will have to machine the bearing recess larger to accept the fs5w's bearing diameter for the main shaft to do a front case swap. peace.

I heard that lots of 300zx owners are getting rid of the T-5s and replacing with FS5W71C trannys from the 240sx. They are apparently quite a tough tranny. Just throw the L series front case half on.

Its a good trans and plenty strong for this lz22. My problem is I got it used and it was worn. We started by replacing the syncros and input shaft. Then the slider got stuck in forth every time I shifted into it. I went back and he replaced the slider now I think the dog teeth are bad because it grinds into forth every time and binds and hangs if you are not dead azz accurate with your shifts. On a good note the gearing is awesome and the shifter is very nice.