I'm Tierd of Going Slow

mmsonic

OR keep the Z22 and put it back in for every smog test. A week later put your 426 HEMI back in. Well maybe not a hemi but something substantial. Build it with the idea of being able to easily swap it back and forth. Cake and eat it too.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OR keep the Z22 and put it back in for every smog test. A week later put your 426 HEMI back in. Well maybe not a hemi but something substantial. Build it with the idea of being able to easily swap it back and forth. Cake and eat it too.

Hmm,

HEMI, now there's an idea...:D

Back to the real world:(, upgrading the z22 or putting a KA in would be simplest, especially if I have to go through the trouble of going back to stock. nismopu's idea would actually seem to be the easiest, and the funnest, if it got me that kind of power.

I'm a little hesitant with the forced induction (with the KA or Z22) because of smog and early detonation risks, but if those risks weren't there, I would be all for it.

Also, Mike, could you enlighten me about your EFI setups? Whats the real gain with efi on a Z22? What else would I need?

That CARB is really fogging up my mind.

I am not sure about the 720 but if it is any thing like the 620 the sr is out. The oil pan is a front sump and is part of the block. You can get them for about 2500 for just the motor, but there is no way it will smog. Another possibility is running a us truck or car v6. Like a vg30e or a vg30et all you have to do is find one out of a newer car than yours get it to pass the bar and you will have all you want. Good economy and power.

Also, Mike, could you enlighten me about your EFI setups? Whats the real gain with efi on a Z22? What else would I need?

That CARB is really fogging up my mind.

Performance wise... nothing.

Better starting. No choke. Better fuel mixture at all RPMs and temperatures, so better drive ability (no flat spots) and fuel economy. Not affected by hard cornering, bumps or severe off road tilts.

Much better for possible future turbo addition including an IC. A draw or suck through carb has it's limitations. The early EFI was very rudimentary and ruggedly simple.

I'm still working on it. Have the Z24 engine in and as of yesterday I have the electric fuel pump hooked up.

So, has anyone done a sr20det into a 620. My engine is almost done , previous owner did b2200 fi engine, runs but sure smokes. And I really want a turbo engine, and the cash has burned through my pocket and its onto my leg now

What Im really trying to find out is how many mods have to be made, and what it really takes to get one in.

The company Im thinking of buying from has a plug and play wiring harness,

so to me the hardest part is done. Ive done V8,s into S10"s, so a sr20 into a 620 should not be that bad.

Please, any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Darren

not true, im 79 and deleted all my smog stuff...plus i have discs up front.....i win :D lol and vg30 wont fit....

You minght have deleted all your smog stuff, but that didnt make it legal. You just dont have to get inspected.

And why wont a vg30 fit. Bet you tried to make it happen didnt you.:lol:

Jason

Gotta agree, anything is possible, especially with a welder. As nice as a V6 VG30 turboed would be in my truck, I don't really want to sell my soul for gas.

Mike, that FI setup, what do I need? That involves an ECU (dosen't bother me, I'm pretty good with programming, computers, and wiring) and new fuel equipment?(fuel rail, pump, tank) Right?

BTW what would you do? KAt or Z22t? Or maybe something else?

Here's a write up for a 510 I think but most applies to ANY 4cyl gas engine. :http://datsun1200.com/modules/nsections/index.php?op=viewarticle&artid=99

It's not very complicated, reasonably easy to do, and not much to go wrong. The KA system is much more complex, with more sensors but with better fuel management control and results.

Power but poor economy the KA24ET but for economy and some power and the 200sx system bolts right on, the Z22ET.

z22et, you wont be dissapointed. PLus its the easiest! peace.

I hope he goes with this. I don't know of anyone with that combo. The Z22 is like a stroker L20B. The Z motors have a breathing limitation that the turbo will take care of. They actually had Z18ETs in Japan. Here's a pic:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/motorZ18ET.jpg[/img]"]motorZ18ET.jpg

Isn't that a clean little motor? 135hp too. A Z22ET should be good for a 22.22% increase, so over 160. Only drawback is the Z cranks aren't fully counterweighted so 6,500-7,000 maybe. More than enough for the street. One of those turbo exhaust manifolds would make the conversion a lot smoother eh?

WOW

Yeah, would really love to get one of those exhaust manifolds, could actually have it on the road this summer if I had one. The FI setup I'd also take, but having all of it would take the fun out of experimenting.

160 could be really nice, could probably increase more if I could get better compression, and all the extra parts. (intercooler, cold air, HUGE exhaust, High flow-cat, ect)

Any estimate on the torque Mike?

BTW what are you putting the Z24 in?