I'm Tierd of Going Slow

mmsonic

I probably asked the same question in the engine forum, but then I wasn't as angry.

I can't stand it! I need to get some thing to make me go faster in my truck (81' 720, but with a 4x4 tranny) I am so tempted to go with a sr20det, or try a ka24det but can't decide, and don't know if they would fit. I would like to keep the Naps Z (z22 w/ dual plugs, and only 145,000 mi:D) if at all possible, but I feel the need to get a motherload of power. (Atleast 200hp)

BTW, California sucks (CARB:mad:) I feel sad when I drive my mom's 1997 HONDA CR-V and it goes faster.

Also, The truck is in really good shape.

Help Me!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

is your truck a 4x4 or a 2wd?

...and if you do a motor swap you'll be swapping in a different transmission anyway. If you want to use your current transmission to save money (if you're even thinking that way) then forget about horsepower. You don't have the cash to do anything.

Your first task would be to identify how much of an investment you can make. Do you have $2000 or $5000 right now to put into this 200+ horsepower swap? oh, that Z22 has got to go.

someone who mentions driving their mom's Honda probably isnt' looking at buying a house any time soon :)

2 grand could barely buy an SR20DET (if you shop around). There are many other expenses involved in an engine swap.

I seriously doubt you're going to get 200 wheel horsepower with $2000.

An RB20DET might be even cheaper. Less room in front though so you'll have to figure out something to do with the radiator....

no, im buying the house, and my mom rides a harley, lol....she would NEVER let me drive it.

and so no one thinks my mom is some dyke biker chick, here is a pic, bleach, pcd, haines, and kiznook are the only ones who can make comments as they are the masters and you suck, lol

Denim.jpg

Hmmm, Alabama anyone...

no, im buying the house, and my mom rides a harley, lol....she would NEVER let me drive it.

and so no one thinks my mom is some dyke biker chick, here is a pic, bleach, pcd, haines, and kiznook are the only ones who can make comments as they are the masters and you suck, lol

Denim.jpg

buy a turbo kit from JGS tools.com for the KA, it will bolt up to your Z-series head just fine. Next get Datsunmike to let go of one of his Z-series efi setups. Then lastly contact SDSefi.com for their extra injector controllers and be happy with the new found boost. My friend ran this EXACT setup on his z24 powered 521 and just coated his factory pistons but you would only need to do that if you were looking for in excess of 350whp. This should run you a little under 2K if you price stuff right. You wont need the turbo, JGS supplies since it will be a little overkill for your HP goals. Anyway, the SR route is supposedly the same price there abouts and nets you the same power BUT if you wanna do something different plus learn a little then the above setup would suit you as well. peace.

I would vote for a KA swap. I bet one of the truck motors would pretty much bolt in. Hell, they even bolt to the NAPS Z tranny. If you kept all the emmisions stuff on it you could even keep it carb legal. I bet you could to the swap for under $2000 easily. And if you want more power you can say FU to carb and turbo the thing and then you will easily make 200hp.

KAs were all EFI so get the wiring harness with a running motor. The KA tranny is a much stronger FS5W71C type but as stated the B type on the 720 will do. Should be able to get it all for way under a thou. Need a high pressure fuel pump for the EFI. By the way, nothing wrong with the 4X4 tranny. It has a lower gear first so faster take offs. And a lower over drive fifth so again higher revs at the same speed as the 2wd tranny.

The bottom line is, (well, I gotta make the money)-

KA is the easiest swap, will bolt up to my trans without a problem, and I could even tubo it if I had the money. But will it achieve the power I want?

SR is harder, need more mods, (like the brake booster problem, steering column in the way) but will get me going easy, and can be upgraded to go faster later on. Will I need to upgrade the differential though?

Modding the Z22 seems like the hardest, conversion to efi, (what about side draft carbs?) tubo kit, and not to mention, rebuilding. Fun, but hard.

I hate the say it, but I want the easiest and cheapest, but not sacrificing too much power because I'm a cheap bastard.

Yes, I do have to keep it emissions legal. (that doesn't mean I agree or like it though!)

The only turbo engine that can run on low octaine is a 280ZX turbo engine at stock boost. Less than 200 wheel horsepower.

A KA24DE(turbo) at low boost (7psi) will be at or just over 200whp but with its moderately high static compression level you will be running premium. Get over it. If you want power, you have to pay. If you want economy, swap in a smaller and weaker engine.

yes, but you probably can run low octaine in it at stock boost.

Stock, an SR20DET is 210hp? (at the flywheel) so approx 170whp and if you run low grade fuel you'll likely drop that to 160whp.

I can put low octain fuel in my 350Z but the computer knows this and senses the pre-detonation. Timing is backed off and the power suffers a lot.

The whole point of running a turbo engine is to get power. You add to the detonation risk and decrease power by running low octaine fuel.

The bottom line is, (well, I gotta make the money)-

KA is the easiest swap, will bolt up to my trans without a problem, and I could even tubo it if I had the money. But will it achieve the power I want?

SR is harder, need more mods, (like the brake booster problem, steering column in the way) but will get me going easy, and can be upgraded to go faster later on. Will I need to upgrade the differential though?

Modding the Z22 seems like the hardest, conversion to efi, (what about side draft carbs?) tubo kit, and not to mention, rebuilding. Fun, but hard.

I hate the say it, but I want the easiest and cheapest, but not sacrificing too much power because I'm a cheap bastard.

Yes, I do have to keep it emissions legal. (that doesn't mean I agree or like it though!)

Anybody got answers to these questions?

BTW, thanks for all the suggestions and help guys, not too many people care that much about my truck, or for that matter, any Datsun. My friend says dump it and get a V6 ford rangerlike he has. I said f*** that. Talk about a POS! (god i wanna beat him.)

Really glad I found this forum.

The KA is the only one that would be emmisions legal. You would have to get it checked out by the local SMOG referee but if you keep it stock it would pass no problem.

There is no way the SR would pass the visual smog inspection because no cars ever came with them here in the US.

So yeah, KA dude.