helllllp :[ 510 lighting problem.

i was just leaving church the other night with my buddies, about to go cause some trouble, when i look down and my dashlights aren't responding. started flipping my brights and they don't work either. checked my fuse, and the "common fuse" was burnt out, so i replaced it with the horn (both 20A), lights still didn't work. was told could be relay, so my buddy picked up a wiring diagram from Carter, found the relay, opened it up and all looked fine. i sanded down the mounts for better ground connection (mounts were so loose, about to fall off). still don't work. fuse didn't even pop again. HELP ME PLEASE :[ i don't like driving in the darkkk.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

check you tail lights and see if they are working, from past experience when the dash lights went out it turned out the prblem was the tail lights were not lit. good luck

take a test light and test both sides of the tabs. even if the fuse is good and the surface is clean, sometimes the tabs are loose and dont make good conection. ive taken pliers to them before to compress them but be real cafeful, they can break off.

Forget the headlight relay, it has no effect on dash lights or tail lights. The dash lights are grounded inside the car, the tail lights are grounded separately so IF they are BOTH out then there probably is a lack of power to them, as i doubt both grounds are bad at the same time.

Get a test light $7 at Can Tire and check both sides of the fuse (with fuse in) Second one back on right side? should have a Green/White stripe wire coming from it and going to the light switch. Probably bad connection at the holder.

Make that $7 at NAPA or whatever passes for Can Tire down there. Best under $10 you'll ever spend for fixing wiring problems on your car. Pays for itself in 5 min.

Yes buy a test light if you dont already have one. Make a double check on ALL the fuses and make sure they are sending power to both sides....remember you much switch on some components before they send power to the other side....at least in my case I do, but I just scrapped the old wire harness and fuse block for a Z car fuse block, then I wired my own harness. Obviously check grounds for dash lights. By the way are the lights dim or just not on? If out completely check the headlight switch and make sure power is going to it and out in all the necessary spots. I would assume that your headlamps and blinkers work. Just not your high beams right. I would bet its a short not a ground problem because the fuse toasted. Check ALL the things connected to that fuse. Let me know how it goes!

You can check your headlight relay buy taking a test light to the "high beam side" and switch your high beams on. So dont buy one if you havent checked cause the new one could be bad too...hahaha...its happened to me. Other thing you can do is jump the fuse with a small piece of wire to check but Dont leave it hooked up for more then a minute or so!!

LOW Beam work?

the ground is in the steering wheel. when you pull the turnsig arm back there is a little copper lever that grounds out and put a gound thru the relay.Maybe thats it?

the high beams are already have 12v from the +side of battery then one side will go to ground when lever is hit.

PS I seen where both headlites were bad!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hainz is right.....I totally forgot about that. I had one on a 510 gum up with crud over the years and just stopped working. Test the power side to the high beams, would be another thing to try

The dash/tail lights aren't affected BY the headlight relay, BUT the relay is affected by the dash/tail lights. If they are out there's no hi beams. Fix the dash lights and it will fix the hi beams.

The head light relay has to have parking light power to energize the relay coil when you select hi or flash to pass which grounds at the turn signal. Without it, it defaults to the low beams only.

okay kiddies, good news. and it's NOT me saving on car insurance. (car insurance is ripping me a new one actually) i swapped the fuse out, it was the R tail parking light. or something like that... and all works again! sort of... on of the bulbs in the rear isn't lighting up, but i think it might just be corrosion, so i need to clean that up. but other than that, my right blinker indicator (on the dash) is luminated... not blinking, just has green light on. and just the right one... i'm thinking the reason this all started is because my R tail light has hella crackage all through it due to an accidental rolling to the back of the driveway into my pap's bumper... haaaa. so hopefully canby will supply me with a new tail light. other than that, all works well... corners, brights, lows, dash, and tails. minus the right side bulb. i figure water got in there from all the rain were having and messed with it a little. i'm sure i'll work it out. thanks guys! i'll ask for help again when i need it...