So, I have this idea...

right, Well I have been thinking, since I posted up my rides, there was a bit of interest in my gb120 ute Or 1200 ute for those playing at home....

Now, these arnt that rare over here, but one thing that is rare over here are 521 utes, Ones with wellsides anyway.

So far i have seen two 521 utes in new Zealand, 2! it kills me becasue i really want one.

So here is the idea part.

If someone Over there was keen for something pretty rare, I could easliy track down a 1200 ute for them, and if they could find me a 521 ute is good rust free condition, we could do a trade. the split shipping each way....

I know this sounds like a big undertaking, and would probably be a better deal for someone over your way than it is for me. but i like to have things that no one else really have, and one of those is a 521 ute.

To give an idea of 1200's over here, this one is for sale at the moment

68851898_full.jpg

68851944_full.jpg

68851973_full.jpg

68894982_full.jpg

68895319_full.jpg

68895509_full.jpg

And the specs

1200 SSS WHEELS

REV COUNTER

NEW BRAKE M/CLY

B310 STRUTS AND BRAKES

TOWBAR

MOTOR SMOKES (VALVE SEALS)

RUST AROUND MOST PARTS OF THE BODY

CENTRE CONSULE

155X12 NEW TYRES

G/BOX AND DIFF ARE GOOD

REGO IS DEAD/OVER 2 YEARS

NEEDS A GOOD PANAL AND PAINT PLUS REGO AND WOF.

And its about $920us......

the only one I have seen over there (thanks icehouse) is currently at $2500us

So what are your guys thoughts. That is on the cheap side for a 1200 over here, but I can always find them. So if anyone is keen, I cant do it right now, but toward the end of the year I will be dead keen.

the only other 521 I have seen over here for sale is this one, which is lacking in the wellside area

62346461_full.jpg

62346531_full.jpg

And that guy wants $2700us for it...........

So you can see where Im coming from haha

Allan

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This might get a little lingthy, but here goes. OK, over here We are infatuated with RHD. At least, I am. I tried contacting an Australian truck fan about a year ago about shipping a 620 over here. That looked unrealistic so I suggested parts to make one of My 620s RHD. This all happened before the fuel prices started rising. What has happened since then is that I acquired everything from Japan to build a RHD truck. It will be 90% stock as a correct RHD truck from the factory would have been built. In Japan the truck You have shown is called a Sunny. There are a few Sunny dealers as well as Sunny parts websites. What I mean is You guys call them 1200s and the Japanese call them Sunnys. Same thing over here...... Some of Us call Our trucks 620s and others call them Bullitsides. Either name is correct. There are still lots of 521s over here. Mark just cut one up that He tried for MONTHS to give away for free. Finding a 521 would be rather easy. If You try hard enough it will happen. But none of Us over here know anything about how to ship something INTO the country. That, I think, is the holdup. We have very strict laws on importing vehicles. I do not (at least not yet) know everything about these laws. Window glass, emmissions, etc. etc. These have to ironed out first. Yes, I would like to find out more and possibly one day I will. My bottom line thought is that if it were easy, We would see more and more imported foreign trucks at shows. There MUST be a catch somehow. After attending JCCS and talking to a few rare RHD car owners, I was told that the RARE stuff over here was years ago shipped to Canada and then brought into the United States from there. Years ago the door closed, or rather, slammed shut on this process. So even though a trade sounds like a good idea, I don't know if this is even an option. Bottom line: I think that You would be better off purchasing, or working with someone willing to take the time to help You, get a 521 here and ship it to Your area. There are some very cool guys on this website, so You are in the right place. I just watched, for example, as Mario literally put everything in place for Mark to buy the wagon. These are the type of guys on here. We can and will help You find a 521 if You really want one. You will have to do the research to get it shipped though. I don't think money is too much of an issue. I am guessing that You want a project truck which would be very reasonable to purchase. Delivering it to a port to ship out isn't a problem either. We discussed with Makoto Okamura at Resolutions about getting Him a 521. He doesn't have the funds just yet for the shipping. So I am guessing that will be what will cost You the most to get it there. Yes, We'll help You, at least I will, and possibly We all can learn how to get trucks and parts from country to country. I believe that there are a few other guys on here that might like to build RHD trucks. Anyway, welcome to the forum and let's see where this goes!!

How much is shipping each way? Is it about $2000 USD per vehicle like it is from Japan?

i don't know where you guys are pulling out 2-3k. those number's are old

fuel has skyrocket. shipping's gone up, and so has the price of processing

expect 5k total added on to the price of the car from japan. maybe a bit less to ship from nz

the cheapest way to do this is inside a container WITH a bunch of other parts to sell to recoup your costs

i don't know where you guys are pulling out 2-3k. those number's are old

fuel has skyrocket. shipping's gone up, and so has the price of processing

expect 5k total added on to the price of the car from japan. maybe a bit less to ship from nz

the cheapest way to do this is inside a container WITH a bunch of other parts to sell to recoup your costs

I know a guy that comes every year for the west coast nationals Z show. The guy spends like 3-4 weeks here buying up every Z car he can find. Then another friend loads up a container and guess what they ship it to NZ. They guy said he makes a killing off the stuff he buys here. They have been doing this for years. Every April. I'll get more details and post it up.

that's what i'm talking about, but is it a diy for most guys? no

now, you can approach one of the import tuner shops that imports all the ricer stuff from japan in a container

ask them if they'll put a car in a container for you, but i guarantee they're gonna make you foot the entire shipping bill

Theres a guy here locally who specifically imports vehicles from australia, mostly Holden's. I might need to contact him and hear what he has to say. peace.

This guy must be new since I have yet to see a real holden in the US. I'd love to be rocking a Holden Ute. Let us know what you find out.

As far as shipping goes, i see cars come over from america every week, we have so many recent American imports over here now its crazy

I would say most shipping over here is $2000us for a vehicle.

I dont know about going back to the states, but it cant be too bad.

Even if no one is keen to try and import over to you guys, I will still be keen for a 521 in good running order.

But not till end of year.

Will find out some prices etc and try some different companys

Allan

Hey, Have You guys seen this truck on ebay?? 190227471468

Just paste that number into the search box. Look though, at what that Guy says. And notice, it is Left Hand Drive, Interesting. I don't ever remember a Datsun dealer selling those. I wonder just where it came from???????

Hey, Have You guys seen this truck on ebay?? 190227471468

Just paste that number into the search box. Look though, at what that Guy says. And notice, it is Left Hand Drive, Interesting. I don't ever remember a Datsun dealer selling those. I wonder just where it came from???????

I assume it came from centeral america. The cars in north and south america are all LHD.

As far as shipping goes, i see cars come over from america every week, we have so many recent American imports over here now its crazy

I would say most shipping over here is $2000us for a vehicle.

I dont know about going back to the states, but it cant be too bad.

Even if no one is keen to try and import over to you guys, I will still be keen for a 521 in good running order.

But not till end of year.

Will find out some prices etc and try some different companys

Allan

if you know how the shipping routes work, the prices vary dramatically from one direction to another ;)

anyway, give it a try and let us know how financially feasible it is

I recently had a shipping quote done from the East Coast US to West Coast Europe and from my door to his local port was going to be about $2500, $800 of it was getting the vehicle from my house to the coast. This quote was done for a 1974 VW Westfalia. I talked to one guy this past weekend while I was flying to Frankfurt, Germany and he said some auto makers are shipping cars overseas for as little as 2-300 per car/truck.. but that shipping bulk and probably owning your own shipping company....