Heater hoses

Conner

I'm trying to replace all the rubber hoses on my truck, which is a 1964 L320. When I got the truck it wasn't running and some of the hoses were either missing altogether or just terminated nowhere. I've got one that runs from the passenger side of the engine block just behind the oil filter housing and it runs around the back of the block by the carburetor and then forward and just ends down by the steering column. Here's a picture:

IMG_7300.jpg

Where is that hose supposed to connect?

Also, you can see in the above picture a grommet on the firewall with a pipe coming through just behind where Mystery Hose #1 leaves the engine block. There is another grommet just below that one on the firewall. The top one doesn't have a hose and the bottom one does have a hose that was cut off just through the firewall. Here's a pic:

IMG_7298.jpg

I'm assuming those connections are to the heater core. Is that right? And where to those hoses go? Anybody have a part number for those hoses or the size hose I should get?

Finally, the hose coming out of the valve cover was disconnected. Where does that connect--to the air cleaner? Anyone have a part number for that hose?

Thanks for your help!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMG_7298.jpg

The bottom (short) hose will be the return from heater to the lower rad hose or somehow return to the motor. (It's not clear to me) The top will be the hot inlet from the head. (I could be wrong but if one is smaller THAT is the hot from the head the return will always be larger)

This is where the hose on the head connects, the lower heater core outlet.

DSCN0046.jpg

Do you have this hose outlet on your water pump, this would go to the upper heater core outlet?

DSCN0045.jpg

If you don't have the water pump outlet connection, then you will likely have to find one of these parts/fittings,

DSCN0048.jpg

or make one like this.

DSCN0047.jpg

Thanks to both of you for responding.

Wayno those pics are very helpful. So the outlet on the head goes straight into the lower heater core and the upper heater core snakes around into the water pump. Unfortunately my water pump doesn't have that fitting. Mine looks like this (the blue is a bit of shop towel stuffed into the main inlet):

IMG_7444.JPG

Looks like I need to fabricate something similar to what you showed in your last pic. Strange, because when I took the radiator out both the upper and lower radiator hoses looked to be the OEM braided hoses with the lower one going uninterrupted straight into the water pump inlet, with no provision for the heater hose to join in.

It looks like the Gates water pump (part # 42324) has two outlets. I may replace my water pump anyway, which will solve this problem.

What about the breather on the valve cover? Is that even necessary?

It looks like you do not have the water pump outlet/connection, so you will need to make one like that home made one in my last photo, as I am keeping the one that could be stock, as it is the only one I have.

Maybe you can look into a more modern water pump like mine, see if a J13 water pump will work, as I beleave that is what this one is.

DSCN0045.jpg

I would take the stock one to the parts store/forklift supply, and make sure the mount pattern is the same.

I would connect the breather hose from the valve cover to the air cleaner to help warm the fresh air intake.

Anyone disagree?

Richard

I beleave it goes there to keep the mess down created by blowby(oil all over everything), fact is my L20b actually sucks air into the valve cover when I get on the gas.

I beleave that the stock setup had it going to the airfilter.

Thanks. I've got my new air cleaner coming soon (thanks Richard) and I will see if there seems to be a spot on their to connect it. My old one was pretty rough. That hose doesn't show up in my parts manual either.

Thanks for the help.

BTW I took my radiator to a radiator shop down in Baltimore today and they quoted $550 for a re-core. Crazy. When I had my roadster one done I lived in Texas and it was $250. That was a few years back, though. I'm going to see if I can find someone to do it cheaper.

Thanks. I've got my new air cleaner coming soon (thanks Richard) and I will see if there seems to be a spot on their to connect it. My old one was pretty rough. That hose doesn't show up in my parts manual either.

Thanks for the help.

BTW I took my radiator to a radiator shop down in Baltimore today and they quoted $550 for a re-core. Crazy. When I had my roadster one done I lived in Texas and it was $250. That was a few years back, though. I'm going to see if I can find someone to do it cheaper.

I would also look around for a better price, $550.00 for a recore, WOW. :hmm:

• 2 weeks later...