Just Picked Up a 74

71kat510

hey guys just picked up a 74 datsun 620 that needs some work its my first old school vehicle

im used to driving and working on s13 240sx"s so this is a little new to me

first problem im having and cant figure out is that my front driver side turn signal doesnt work

but it works when i put my hazards on two bulbs??

second problem that happened today is that my door handle stopped working havent had a chance

to look at it but any info would help

third problem is that my radio fuse keeps blowing (2nd one down right hand side)

then randomly my dash lights stopped working but i guess this is what i get for wanting to save a truck

from the scrapyard but back to the truck

74 datsun 620 stock L 18 engine 4 speed manual lowered on 3" blocks and leaf spring packs removed

torsion bared down in the front

Pic from when i picked it up from spokane for $900

IMG_20121006_153344_776.jpg

after i got it home

IMG_20121007_111423_089.jpg

future plans

swap in a ka24de or build the L18

lower a inch or so all around

throwing the sparco sprint in tomorrow

Mock up pic

IMG_20121012_160724_802.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, unplug the fuse box, remove the fuses and soak in a bowl of vinegar. This will remove any corrosion that could be causing/masking any problems later. Replace the fuses, they are cheap and not to be trusted simply on "they look ok to me"

Turn signal.

The L turn and 4 way flasher share the same wires and bulb so if the 4 way works it's not these. Are you sure that the LEFT REAR is flashing? If it is, the problem is a poor connection at the harness plug to the turn signal lever or the turn signal lever itself. (try unplugging the connector several times to clear any corrosion) I had a similar problem on my 620 and one of the soldered wires had come off inside. Remove the steering wheel and black plastic clam shell that surrounds the ignition switch to access it. There is a 19mm or 21mm nut securing the wheel. Remove it and the star washer. TURN HEAD TO RIGHT and using the palms of both hands bring them towards you together and the back side of the steering wheel, hitting it firmly several times. The wheel should slide towards you and off the splined steering column. Don't forget to turn your head or you will either knock yourself out or knock your teeth out.

Door handle

You'll have to remove the door handle and arm rest and un clip the door card or panel to get at the inner workings of the door. You don't say if it's the inside, outside or both. There is a vertical pushrod near the latch that has a nylon adjustment nut that sets the stroke for the outside handle lift. I've had one door that would not unlatch unless you lift upwards very firmly. I adjusted this plastic nut and it would unlatch with much less effort and handle movement.

It could simply be that the lever linkage has just come undone.

ya its super straight gonna get it painted soon but on sunday i went up to the shop and started making it reliable through fixed the slave cylinder that was in two pieces

IMG_20121014_215618_600.jpg

IMG_20121014_215637_514.jpg

IMG_20121012_160811_385.jpg

prepped and cleaned the floor will be getting bed liner

IMG_20121014_215647_015.jpg

me and my friend started to make a seat mount for my sparco

IMG_20121014_225921_250.jpg

all mounted belts still need to be mounted

IMG_20121017_103834_491.jpg

found a air filter at the shop looks alot better

IMG_20121017_103845_741.jpg

changed the oil and spark plugs

IMG_20121017_103849_482.jpg

friend gave me a msd blaster 2 coil made a huge difference

and i live in missoula stevensville is not far from missoula at all

Dude you you still have points in the distributor youll burn them up!!!!!!!!

You have a 74 620 so I assume you still have points igntition.

If you have a Matchbox or 1st Gen Nissan electric your OK.

If still running pouints you need a ballast resisitor(which I see) and the stock point coil. Hopefully you still have this.

For soem reason kids like buying these MSD coils and fucking up there cars(poitns last half as long) if still points installed.

MY recommendation is put the stock coil back in. Its DESIGNED for POINTS!!!!!!!. MDS is made for EI type ignitions.Or you have to add another ballast in series with the stock one.

Im sure starting was faster but ck you points I bet they burning up already