early stepside bed

dreamer2

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Around 1977 or 78,Car Craft magazine gave away a new King cab they had fixed up. It had a stepside bed,custom paint,nice wheels,and they took the old bed and made a matching trailer.

I wanted it soooo bad. I was there at the Street Machine Nats in Indy when they gave it away.

I know you don't see that many King Cabs with the beds,but they were out there.

• 2 weeks later...

Farmer,

That is a shot I scanned out of one of My Japanese Cal Magazines. That is a California Stepsides bed. See the chromed steps? The Chevy Luvs were sold with stepside beds that had the steps molded into the fenders made by a different company.

luvstepsideinfo.jpg

Lastly here is a view of the Budd Anderson conversions on a kingcab. Anderson's fenders looked like old Dodge fenders where the CSS and Chevy Luvs looked like Chevrolet fenders.

BuddAnderson2.jpg

BuddAnderson.jpg

CSSad1977.jpg

mine is similar to the last picture (the CSS ad) with the flared fenders.

I still need to know how the steps mount. It looks like they just bolt to the fenders and slide between the bed and the mounting bracket. If that's the case,there's no way you could step on them.

Pharouh,

I have a set of steps seperate from the bed. I can photograph them if You like and show You how there were mounted. If I remember right the very tops were bolted to the lower front of the bed. On My truck the previous owner welded a tube with a flat plate onto the frame that sat just below (under) the steps so that a person's weight would not collapse them. Mike

Pharouh,

I have a set of steps seperate from the bed. I can photograph them if You like and show You how there were mounted. If I remember right the very tops were bolted to the lower front of the bed. On My truck the previous owner welded a tube with a flat plate onto the frame that sat just below (under) the steps so that a person's weight would not collapse them. Mike

Thanks Mike, I'd love to see some pics. Anything would help.