KA valve cover bolts are stripping!

FiveSeventyZee

The threads for the valve cover bolts in my KAe head are getting stripped. Right now I have 2 stripped and 1-2 that don't feel very good. It's not that I have them too tight either because I tightened them due to a leak coming from the valve cover gasket.

my question is what are my options? can I put in helicoils or threaded inserts or something? any way of saving these without pulling the head?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Helicoils or time sert fittings will work fine. Just remove the valve cover get some masking tape and plastic to cover everything but the valve cover mounting holes. install the inserts. Removed shavings with a shop vac and compressed air.

Thanks guys. It was a new gasket thats why I thought it should seal, but it was a chinese made gasket so I think I just went too cheap on it and now I'm paying the price. Thanks guys I'll probably use inserts to fix it rather than tapping for a larger bolt and I'll be following the torque specs from now on, didn't realize the valve cover had torque specs :blush: