Inquiring about a turbo kit for l18

Toney

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As LaeCaon said, you'll find a turbo kit for an L series right next to the Unicorn, pile of rocking horse poo, chickens teeth, Santa Claus, virgins in a whorehouse etc etc.

I'm not aware of anyone in the Datsun world who makes an "off the shelf kit".

The very few I have seen here in Oz, and the ones I have seen on overseas sites have all been fabbed from scratch, or bought from a home builder who has made them from scratch.

In terms of engine modifications, metaphorically speaking, are you trying to run a marathon before you have learnt how to crawl ?

• Like 1

These aren't 240sx or Hondas or any other cars with EFI and well documented turbo swaps. There are no e-bay kits for this.

If you saw a turbo on an L series motor stand back and admire it. Be in awe of the amount of research and work making one-off parts to make this work. To keep the cost down you, will be doing all the work. You'd better have a welder, a shop, some tools, time and you'd better have money. Do you know the difference between blow through and draw through turbo set ups? If not too sure you need to get on line and do some research or better get some books on turbo theory.

If you have had your 510 less that a couple of years forget this and enjoy it some more. Not saying not to do it. Saying if you come here asking about kits you haven't researched this enough, not nearly enough.

There was a small talk about it on JNC and they weren't sure. My thinking is turbos weren't popular when the L20 came out, but both the C210/R30 had L20ets in them, which would were released more around the time turbos were popular.

It utilizes the stock manifolds with this design, so really if you cut the pile to length you could mount it on anything.

I am in need of info about a turbo kit for my l18, what is involved in boosting it; as in what do i need? I have seen l-series motors with turbo, how much am i looking at in terms of prices, possibly a used one. thank you

Here you go Toney, now that you've copped a Ratsun version of a bit of a slapping, burn up some bandwidth having a read of this site.

http://www.turbophile.com/

• Like 1

There was a small talk about it on JNC and they weren't sure. My thinking is turbos weren't popular when the L20 came out, but both the C210/R30 had L20ets in them, which would were released more around the time turbos were popular.

It utilizes the stock manifolds with this design, so really if you cut the pile to length you could mount it on anything.

A problem might be that this was EFI so you would still have to make manifolds for it. And decide draw or blow through.

How much do you have to spend? This will answer whether you should even contemplate doing a turbo swap. It's not going to be a few hundred dollar project. Probably closer to a grand, and most people spend multiple thousands on parts, computers, and tweaking the setup.

You need to do a crap-ton of research before you attempt to start finding parts. You can't (correctly) just get a turbo kit for your L-18, bolt it on, and go. If you want to do it right you'll need to rebuild the engine with dished pistons. You'll find very quickly that it will be cheaper, and easier, to swap in a bigger motor....than it would be to properly turbo your engine.

Rajay and Cartech used to make turbo kits for the L-4 engines. You'll likely not be able to find one, and if you did, it probably wouldn't be cheap. On top of that they're both very old technology.

While it's not mandatory, you should convert to fuel injection. Better performance, without all the drawbacks of using a carb.

Nissan made an exhaust turbo manifold for their LD20T diesel engines, but those aren't easy to find anymore either.

Realistically, you'll be building the whole setup from scratch. That's what most guys end up doing. So either you'll need to fabricate it, or have someone else fabricate everything. Even with the early kits, they aren't the ideal setup, so even if you could find one, you'd need to do a lot of fab work to get things right.

Just spend $800 on an EFI KA24DE engine and tranny, and call it done.

build or buy manifold get a turbo with a carbon seal cut the flange and carb off a su manifold attach su to turbo mod intake manifold assemble dont run more then 5 pounds megajolt or figure another way to retard your timing buy a af meter tune and tune

Unfortunately, herein lies the problem.

I'm guessing from Toneys post, though happy to stand corrected, he doesn't have the mechanical aptitude/experience to do this.

Alternatively, he may be an engineering genius, and just couldn't be fucked going through the hassle of building one.

I think yellowdatsun and a couple of others have summed it up pretty well I.e. buy something non L series and bolt it in.

Mind you, if he lived over this side of the world I could build him something for a ridiculous, oops I mean reasonable price :)

...i am almost hesitant to reply... :geek: ...It was primarily out of curiosity, however i do find it hard to believe that no one's ever turboed a l-series, there are a lot of datsun enthusiasts out there that I'm sure have attempted and failed and some who have succeeded in doing so, just happen to be a metal fabricator and if it is truly 120% impossible to do then i might consider a KA swap or some old school power like a 13b. i appreciate the feedback,Just wanted some input if anyone has done this first hand before here on ratsun