L20B Problems with timing? and Im ready to push it off a cliff!!

rayven14

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DatzenMike, maybe it has ESP. :rofl: ... Ok yes that was dumb to say but kinda funny. I think out of curiosity more than anything I'm gonna leave it in until after I do all this other stuff.

You boys are gonna love this.... Its SO FREAKIN RATSUN!!!!

So I needed to move the MAF right? and I needed a new way to mount it right? and I got lots of crap laying around Im not using right? so I came up with this

IMG_1232.jpg

IMG_1234.jpg

A little primer and paint

IMG_1235.jpg

Mounted to the AFM

IMG_1236.jpg

And its mounted in the car

IMG_1239.jpg

IMG_1240.jpg

IMG_1238.jpg

Got one of these on order, unless I can find one before I actually purchase it off the net (one side is 2 3/4 and the other is 2 1/4 seems kinda odd to me

90_reducer_black_picture.jpg

And some Misc shots for further diagnosis

IMG_1242.jpg

IMG_1241.jpg

Oh BTW, you guys see the warm up hose that ducts down to the throttle body? well what the hell is that big a$$ screw next to it with the big a$$ spring on it? what does it do?

If you are not using the warm up/air regulator...plug it

What did the TB come from......?....have to check but I don't think it looks anything like my old 200sx TB

Also....where is your IAS...?......assuming you are controlling the idle at the TB?

And....the vacuum control valve????

Ordered the book yet?

Sealik: Book, what? ha? No not yet but with this system its a must have, found one on ebay for like 9 bucks. Problem is, if I had to be honest, I have the Haynes 510 book and I think its a waste of time. Its lacks any real detail, especially for someone like myself thats more of a visual learner.

As far as the TB goes, I bought the system a few years ago as is, I assumed that what I got was ... well a complete system, silly me!

Yes Im controlling idle at the TB

Whats an IAS? Altitude sensor? and again I got the system as an "as is" deal. Please dont tell me I gotta go get more crap! if thats the case I got a lead on a (complete) VG30 that will look real good massaged in my engine bay.

Also following the wiring diagram what exactly does the Altitude sensor do and the vacuum switch? Looks to my like the Altitude sensor simply provides a 12 source to pin #28 and the vacuum switch simpluy robs power from the throttle valve. Of course these are both listed as something only on the "California Model" so Im assuming there not needed, of course there I go assuming again. So far thats gotten me nothing but trouble, even with my lady.

IAS

Idle adjusting screw

Bypasses the TB to set idle.......if you set it at the TB it will move the throttle plate... which in turn changes the TPS and possibly your air reg?

Which I see is attached to the TB... typically connected to an air pipe before the TB

Maybe

Possibly

Hey man remember I'm a novice mechanic... some of these terms are like :confused: to me.

So the IAS sets underneathe the TB and yes, Im using that to control the idle. however I did just discover that the TPS can be adjusted to compensate for that.

Yes the air reg could be an issue but not after warm up once its closed, typically I do all the test when the car is hot.

I would get this finished first and see if that fixes the problem. Gotta figure it starts and runs, even runs to 3K so it's close to running perfect.

Hope the short length hose doesn't cause intake pulses to upset the flap door. On the 200sx the AFM is about there but the throttle plate and intake are on the other side of the engine by the battery.

IMG_1240.jpg

So I've decide to part out the engine and go with my VG30... No Im just kidding!

Well I moved the AFM and it all seemed to work! can I get a HELLZ YA!!!! I timed it up by ear but probably needs a fine tune with a gun and it seems to be doing great. Starts right up and seems to be all dailed in.

I looked for a simple silicone hose with one end 2.25 and the other 2.75 but no luck and the one I did find was like 120 bucks... yikes!

So I went to the local auto store and picked up some of that cheap plastic with the chrome over lay and a few rubber ends. One of the ends was taperd and 28 bucks later this is what I got. I also had to redo my DIY support/mount bracket, left off the paint this time, kinda like it that waycause its so RATSUN,... kinda don't cause its not "finished" ... ehh time will tell.

Whatcha thinks? Oh and a huge thank you to all you guys that chimed in to help me out, I would have NEVER thought to move the AFM.

IMG_1250.jpg

IMG_1251.jpg

IMG_1252.jpg

IMG_1255.jpg

Now I can work on getting it all cleaned up, I may redo some of the wires, like the spark plug wires. I dont like them coming over the top of the head cover.

I'm going to take a stab at this...With the trap door AFM, I believe they can only be installed one direction, and that's with grid pattern up, or horizontal. You have it mounted vertically, and from what I understand, it will not work properly that way. Messes up the readings somehow.

I think FJDatto nailed this.

Looks good

snapback.pngFJDatto, on 24 September 2012 - 06:44 PM, said:

I'm going to take a stab at this...With the trap door AFM, I believe they can only be installed one direction, and that's with grid pattern up, or horizontal. You have it mounted vertically, and from what I understand, it will not work properly that way. Messes up the readings somehow.

I think FJDatto nailed this.

Page 1 Post 19

Ding Ding....I 'win'

Door number 3 please.... :lol:

Again I must graciously give you all a great big than you, all the advice was greatly appreciated. FJ datto, if you were a chic I'd buy you roses and chocoalte... and if you were hot I'd... well you get it.

I gotta tell ya, this thing is running soooooo freaking well, and its not even properly timed yet. I made my first show since purchasing the car three years ago and it was met with open arms, great big ear to ear smiles coupled with tons of questions, lots of pics and this look :w00t: it was awesome!!!